Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Awshucks, I have a Horton recurve crossbow. They don't seem to make them anymore, but it looks like they used the Yukon stock and just put fiberglass recurve limbs on. I've forgotten the model name and they didn't put it on it. I don't have a lot of experience with crossbows, but this one seems to shoot well and I like the fact that the limbs are higher and the string doesn't ride too hard on the rail like some recurve crossbows I've seen, reducing the power. I like the fact that I can easily pull off the prod (bow) and reserve the string or replace the string without a press. I used the same string for all 1000 shots and reserved it twice. Itnearly needs a new serving again now. It needed the first reserving at 380 shots or so and then the second at about 300 shots.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Thanks for the info!! You're getting more shots/per serving than I am,[around 300 for me] Have you seen the 'stringing aid" Excal sells? There's a guy, Wabi, that made his own on Excal forum, outta old bow strings. Excals is two pieces of thick plastic w/ a hole that slips just so far over the limb tips. I think those pinkish plastic cutting boards would be a good source of matl to make your own. Wow!! I keep thinking about those 1000 shots w/ same arrow. If you figure 30 yd average, that's like 17 miles of walking!! You rock man!!