Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Old 06-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

OK 200 shots taken but i missed deer target,actually creased its back. Thats what i did as i shot from 35 yds. with the 30 yd. pin marker. I can tellya that 30 yds. is my max with peep sight. I ain't even into missing like that, chaps my rear end.[:@]
Old 06-17-2006, 10:21 PM

LOL, yeah, but it's fun to fling those long shots, just to watch it fly, every once in a while...keeps ya humble and a good reminder that as accurate as you can be close up with a crossbow, it's still a close range weapon. I also find that 30 yds is about as far out as I'll want to take a shot at game. It just has too much drop after that. Funny, that was my long yardage for a recurve too.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup i remember that being the max on longbow and my recurve! Only with very clear shots at that![:-] I got out my compound and my carbon arrows. Well my left elbow and shoulder got to hurtin so bad i couldn't hold my form. Lost one arrow over deer targets back. Thats beginning to get real regular. I did make up my mind i am selling the whole compound outfit to whom ever i can get $150 or so from![&o]
Old 06-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recovered the carbon arrow in great shape and found xbow arrow but one vanes was ripped off. So i refletched it with feathers, have 4 with feathers and 2 with vanes on. About 20 gr. in weight difference and point of impact is different too![8D] I will be glad to refletch the other 2 and have all 6 the same weight again! plus i think i will get 1/2 dz. carbon inserts and pick up few more fps!Those straight fletched arrows dart and dip too much fer me![]
Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 PM

OK, I'm very close. 936 shots taken with 8 misses so far. I was hoping for just 7 misses, but I just missed the 9" target today on a 25 yd. shot. Just got sloppy. I should finish up my 1000 shots in the next couple of days and I'll post final results. This has been good practice to tighten up my form and give me confidence in my equipment.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

grndhunter: Shot xbows for first time in a month. Had first three at 30 in group the size of a Zippo, next three the size of a pack of cigs, and last three , had two outside 9" circle!! Woe is me!!! Back still hurts LOL But' I'll be back!! Dan
Old 06-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey i am at 240 and that 1 miss. It will take me rest of this summer to finish. Thats ok wid me and its good.[8D]
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM

Just finished my 1000!..actually it ended up being 84- 12 shotrounds, so it was 1008 shots. My 8 misses wereas follows: 4 misses from 30 yds., 3 misses from 25 yds. and 1 from 20 (don't ask me what happened there?). My average for the 1000 shots is 99.2% accuracy rate (for 9" target). Another encouraging thing for me too is that of the 8 misses, only 1 was far enough out of the circle that it would have failed to kill an elk, so in that thousand shots, I actually shot a 99.9% accuracy rate for a kill on elk. Good practice and it really dialed me in for knowing my weapon and where to aim for each yardage...Oh, and 2 days ago while I was practicing, I also got to shoot a vole (at least I thinks that's what it was...mouse sized critter) that was trying to distract me in my practice. I did get a passthrough, so I think my power is good :^).
Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Another thing- all 1000 shots were taken with the same bolt- guess I'm getting my money's worth on that one :^)
Old 06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

grndhunter: 1st, I commend you on your dedication!! Since you kept really close count on those 1000 shots, I've got a couple of questions for ya. I forgot which bow you used, and can you also tell us how many strings or servings you went thru?? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.