Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Old 05-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

squirrelkilla23 whats with the need new limbs stuff? Do you mean yer Horton is falling apart? You had better get an Excalibur quick!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a joke, down south that goes like this: The difference between a NORTHERN fairy tale and a SOUTHERN fairy tale is this. A Northern fairy tale starts out " Once upon a time" and the Southern version starts out " Ya'll ain't gonna believe this Sh*t". Well, I've been shooting 40-50 shots a day since I got my Phoenix. Most are 30 YDS. off-hand. Had some friends over today for beer and brats. I was shooting the xbow when they got here. I've got an overlay I made that has 2 1/2" holes showing black on McKenzie target at 30 yds. Not blowing my own whistle, but I was popping the 5" black fairly regular, so I reduced the size of my target. I'm now shooting at snuff can lids [2 1/2"]. Hit em some and miss em some, you know the drill. One of my wise arse buddies took the lid from a 35 mm film can out to the 30 yd target and taped it on there. Said "Lets see ya hit that, Big Boy! Lo and behold, I got it first shot! So, I took two more, and believe it or not I hit it all three times. I'd rather be lucky than good any day, LOL and this was huge luck factor!! Gonna try and post a picture of the film can lid, Hope it comes out, because this was a once in a life time thing!! Dan

Old 05-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

awshucks yer shooting right good keep it up and them hogs and deer will be in the freezer![:-][:-]
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM

Well, now I'm at 192 shots with 2 misses. Still counting hits on a 9" circle (not a film lid). I suppose Icould settle for 99% success rate for hunting and just get my 1 miss out of 100 shots out of the way before I shoot at an animal . Still going to try for 1000 shots with this game (I know, squirrelkilla, I'm slow!) to see how consistent I can be with a lot of shots. BTW, I'm shooting a 150#Horton recurve (I don't think they make it anymore- fiberglass prod) crossbow, 600 gr. bolts (practice for elk), using a rear peep site and front pin. Looks like I'll need to reserve my string about every 250 shots.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

grndhunter: LOL, last month I was sitting on a bucket of snakes, this post w/ film lid is like the half time shows at basketball games where they throw the ball from half court at the basket for $10,000 grand or so! It's like I made three of them in a row! Now, I'm scattering them all over the target, lucky to NOT get outside of the 9" thing you proposed. I was doin real good at 5" bulls at 30, but now I'm not, guess I burned all my luck up on the film lid, but dang, it felt good that day! Naturally, I quit right there. LOL And one other thing, there's no way I can go 1000 shots w/o going outside the 9" circle some.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Yuall a buncha freeking arrow junkies, specillay u squirrel! Pretty good shooting there Dan the man!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 AM

DNK, yeah, but so far I'm at 216 shots all with the same bolt. I shoot one shot and go get it. That gives me more time to concentrate on my shot and not rush it. It's cheap fun when you don't break or loose bolts. Reserving my stringevery 250 shots or so is all my cost. I couldn't imagine shooting 1000 shots with my 30-30. That would cost me $500. I guess that's why guys get into handloading. Good destressing time to throw bolts at a target, try to hit a pine cone target, shoot through brush, etc. I just wish there were some crossbow shooting competitions (3-D, etc.) around here. Maybe I'll have to start one :^).
Old 05-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Running score: 216 shots, 2 misses.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am abit slower on practice than most of you. I have shot 30 times in several days, all with groups of 5" at 30 yrds. with my peep. I can tell you as it gets darker the black 30 yrds. part of pin becomes difficult to see. Now i can use my green pin very well out to 25 yrds. My groups get tight the closer i am to target.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 PM

OK, new update, if anyone cares... 432 shots and 4 misses. It seems that I'm just getting sloppy whenever I miss. I'm trying to work on my form so that I do the same thing each timeto consistently hit. Maybe I can make it to 1000 without any more misses...yeah, right. I did have to reserve my string @ 384 shots. Still using the same bolt and it's doing fine.

Quick Reply: Crossbow Hunting Practice Challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.