Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Phoenix was a cool choice

Old 05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Phoenix was a cool choice

After sifting through all the advice you folks had I went with an Excalibur Phoenix with a complete package including scope. After firing 30 or 40bolts I have come to the conclusion it was a good choice. Nothing to compare it to as this is my first Crossbow, but it a smoker. With just a little tweaking of the scope I am firingtwo inch groups attwenty and four or five inch at thirty. Good enough for a lung shot in my book. Does not look as though the servings last long on these things and they are not as quiet as my Hoyt V-Tech but I would like to see the deer that can duck the shotat 30 yards.Thanks for all the advice as it sure seems tough to find much technical info on Crossbows in general. Feeling like a kid atChristmas.Oh yeah.. The chump at the pro shop sold me some Horton half moon bolts. Does not seem to make much diff at this point. Was it a bad idea?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Phoenix was a cool choice

Planter: Are you using a rope cocker? I am w/ both my Excals, and can hit a plastic pop bottle top at 30 yds off of a rest about 3-5 trys. The other two will be close enough that the whole group is under 2". I'm not using the arrows that came w/ Right Stuff, but similar. Differences are: 4"vanes, brass inserts. Even w/ RS arrows, you should get better groups than that. I've marked my serving, and still can't come close to the groups w/ rope cocker. You'll love that Phoenix!!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats you made a great choice!As awshucks said are you the rope cocker? Those moon noks are fer Horton xbows, not really good fer the Excaliburs. Take it slow with scope as movement will throw yer arrows off couple inches! Wax wax wax that serving and string can't get to much on it![]I am thinking you got the best crossbow made,my opinion. Of course they say i am prejudiced, but thats their opinion.[8D]
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been shoting all kind of arrows, and several different crossbows, never found anything that would shoot those halfmoon nocks;try the flat metal nocks or the 10 point system I use the 10 point system which makes it easy to fletch my own and I put a slight helical on them;then as long as you get it cocked exactly stright it will group the size of a silver dallar at 20 yds. Lee
Old 05-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Planter: Forgot those half moon nocks! If you are at all handy, and have a bench grinder, you can make em flat in a jiffy. Just bring em up to the side of the wheel, and rotate them as you touch the nock to the wheel. The trick is to keep the arrow square to the wheel to get them flat. I'm pretty sure if you shoot one w/o having the half-moon right, you might get a semi dry fire, as the string will tend to want to jump off the back of the arrow. Maybe some of the other guys that shoot Hortons w/ 1/2 moon nocks have some info on that. I think the Barnetts use the same nock, those guys know alot too. Keep us posted!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your bow, I know you'll enjoy every shot until you start smacking them against each other! Have fun!
Don
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Excellent choice! I myself am a horton man but if I could own two bows the other would be a excalibur. As far as the nocks go I use the half moon nocks in my horton but I am sure the excal guys should be able to help ya out.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in fact using the rope cocker. Cocking the bow is not even a slight problem and I have had a couple of back surgerys. I will try and grind the half moon off an a bolt or two but I am just gonna get some more of the right ones. Right now I am just stunned at how well this thing shoots. It is tough walking thru doorways so it would be tight in the woods but what the heck. I hunt out of a stand as I was never really very good at still hunting. My idea of still hunting is 1 MPH not .10 MPH and that just don't cut it. Its always that last step.Think I will go and get some 10pt bolts. At least I know where I can get those over the counter. Changed the string last night just to try it and it is also not a problem. I will shoot in a few strings so I have an extra already fired one just in case. Not much mulch is gonna get spread today. Will mark the serving like everyone suggests, but sure does not seem to make any diff at 20 yards. Loving it.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are using rope cocker so you don't have to mark string, just make sure the hooks are snug against rail![8D]Those moon noks are yer problem of large arrow groups. [:'(]I shoot offhand with peep and shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 20 yds. Make sure to wax string and twist string until its even with second brace heigth line.[:-] The flemish strings are abit loud but as they break in they become better. Now its lots of practice and enjoy shooting yer xbow.You know that has to be fun and its so good to do.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have to stop trying for tight groups at 20 yards. Something about the arrows hitting each other the group is so sweet. Gotta move up to a five spot target at that range. Gonna shoot the half moons with judo points at cans and such until they are gone and am on my way to pick up some 10pt bolts. Was up in my practice tree stand and find I can shoot off my knee which is always more stable than offhand. I can't do that with my compound. I put on the extra string they gave me with the bow but did not twist it at all. What am I looking for when I do the twist? I understand brace height but not when it applies to recurve limbs. The video that came with bow says I just have to wax the serving not the whole string which is the opposite of what I do with my Hoyt. Couple more quick questions.. Why two different strings in the package? Whats a good source for accessories and are there any decent books ect??? Thanks a ton kids. Lets go shoot sumpin.......I will say that changing the string did not makemuch diff at allat 20 yards. Great to know just in case. I have lived thru a busted serving 100 miles from home and it'sno joy.

Straight Arrows To You All!

Quick Reply: New Phoenix was a cool choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.