Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Phoenix was a cool choice

Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Phoenix was a cool choice

ORIGINAL: Planter

Have to stop trying for tight groups at 20 yards. Something about the arrows hitting each other the group is so sweet. Gotta move up to a five spot target at that range. Gonna shoot the half moons with judo points at cans and such until they are gone and am on my way to pick up some 10pt bolts. Was up in my practice tree stand and find I can shoot off my knee which is always more stable than offhand. I can't do that with my compound. I put on the extra string they gave me with the bow but did not twist it at all. What am I looking for when I do the twist? I understand brace height but not when it applies to recurve limbs. The video that came with bow says I just have to wax the serving not the whole string which is the opposite of what I do with my Hoyt. Couple more quick questions.. Why two different strings in the package? Whats a good source for accessories and are there any decent books ect??? Thanks a ton kids. Lets go shoot sumpin.......I will say that changing the string did not makemuch diff at allat 20 yards. Great to know just in case. I have lived thru a busted serving 100 miles from home and it'sno joy.

Straight Arrows To You All!
Planter, twist the string a few rotations and put it on until it is on the line that you see scribed on the deck just a inch or so towards you from the rear end of the riser (where the riser meets the forward edge of the deck). You'll see all that on the video that you got with the crossbow. Every thing is on the website in video form. Don't forget that the string will stretch more than your compound because it has more tension than your compound.
Good luck and have fun.
Don
Old 05-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Phoenix was a cool choice

Planter: There are two lines on the top of the deck, about an inch and a half apart. The first one [minimum] should be about a half inch from where the deck [barrel] meets the riser. The correct "brace height" is in between the two. Twisting the string is how you adjust that.If you have a grey and black string its the FFF or flemish faf flight. A green and brown "endless loop" is the Excel. Many are of the opinion that the reduced noise and vibration, longer serving life on the Excel are worth the few fps you lose. I think Excal advises to wax whole string once, then just the serving every so many shots after. I go about 30-40.