Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Holographic sight

Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holographic sight

Not so fast Bucko!! I've heard that same mantra on air rifles. Not those pansy pneumatics you pump up or Co2, but Spring guns. Unless you got a real barn-burner it's bull sheets. It's tru that crossbows like spring guns re-coil forward rather than rearward like a firearm but it's not enough to matter in my book. And I ain't a sore looser, cause Dnk had the right answer. Besides, this game don't pay very well LOL!!In all fairness you are right. Got any more?? Bring em on!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM

No fun cause I think I may have won! I was going to say it was cause of the amount of vibration in the scope from the bow. Lemoyne's probally is ok because of age and like all old things is made better and heavier. My one buddy put a $150 bushnell scope on his and half way into the season his virtical crosshair broke in two and you could still see in hanging in the scope. I will say I didn't know it was called reverse recoil, but I new the high vibration had something to do with it.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's one for ya'll, little off topic, but what was the longest sniper shot ever made documented, prior to say 1990?

Hint: it was not made by Long Trang. If you know who he was.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

OK. suspence is over. I was told by a Nikon scope rep. that you should never put a rifle or shotgun scope on a crossbow as a crossbow has reverse recoil and it could damage the scope, or at the very least not stay zeroed in,as it is not made for that kind of recoil. Always use a crossbow scope as it IS made for reverse recoil and no damage would result. Makes sense to me anyways. LOL. But it got you thinking!
BBO
I can vouch for that. I had a Simmons 4X shotgun scope on my crossbow last year. Perhaps 100 shots from practice. But the scope is now toast. I stuck it on my .22 a month ago and the vertical adjustment is nonexistant...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fer every action there is and equal reaction, be it forward or backward! If said scope recoils back then it must recoil forward and same in reverse! So therefore it recoils both ways and the Nikon rep. should return to school fer a bunch more learning!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I cannot imagine that applies to the higher end scopes. I have a diana that is rated at 1100 ftps and I've had a B&L 3.5 X 10 on it and my xbow has worn my nikon gold 1.5 X 6 on it for a couple of years with no issues. I once owned a $150.00 scope and I the ML that I had it on fell down on the dirt and the vert crosshair broke. Maybe I'm just pushing my luck but I trust my good scopes to take a s**t kicking and keep on tickin.
LIke Dan the saying man said (not so fast bucko, LOL) buddy is right tho...I've read that many times.
Don

Old 05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought two Bushnells in the last two months and the reticle in the first one looked like a fireworks diplay. The second one was about the same but seemed to come around after "warming Up" Problem was I do not think it liked the 12 G. slug gun beating I gave it and shut itself off. A couple of thumps got it going again but I am sorry about my choice on that one. Esp at $300...It's going back to Bushnell.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I bought two Bushnells in the last two months and the reticle in the first one looked like a fireworks diplay. The second one was about the same but seemed to come around after "warming Up" Problem was I do not think it liked the 12 G. slug gun beating I gave it and shut itself off. A couple of thumps got it going again but I am sorry about my choice on that one. Esp at $300...It's going back to Bushnell.
Planter, these days there is no reason to buy a scope without a life time guarrantee, most good mgfers offer that these days on their good and better lines. What model was that $300.00 Bushnell?
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Fer every action there is and equal reaction, be it forward or backward! If said scope recoils back then it must recoil forward and same in reverse! So therefore it recoils both ways and the Nikon rep. should return to school fer a bunch more learning!
Smoke, Not true, The gun comes back and the bullet goes forward. That is where the forward energy goes. Crossbows do have forward recoil just like an upper in break barrel air gun.
However, the physics are different. Way more energy goes forward on the crossbow because that is the way the limbs fly upon release. There is so little resistance from a normal arrow that you don't have the back push.
In some testing we did, we shot a solid piece of steel, the same size as an arrow, and it pushes you back as the arrow shoots due to the increased resistance.
They do reinforce crossbow scopes a little diferently then rifle and shotgun scopes. While most upper end ($200) scopes will survive the punishment a crossbow dishes out, the lower end ones often do not. The bad part is, most do not break the crosshairs. Most times the crosshairs start to "float" so you don't know they are broken. You first think the arrow is bent, or you pulled your head, or the broadhead planed, or your sting or cables stretched, or you have a screw loose (and sometimes at this point you do).
Randy

Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Or in other words, reverse recoil. I was right. Hahaha. Putting a rifle scope on a crossbow, when there are so many good crossbow scopes to choose from, is like carrying a ford hubcap and riding in a Chevy! LOL

Quick Reply: Holographic sight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.