Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Maine

Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Maine

Maine
Effective January 1, 2006, with a valid crossbow hunting license, a person may hunt bear with a crossbow during the open season on bear and may hunt deer with a crossbow during the open firearm season on deer. The crossbow hunting license may not be used to hunt deer during the archery season, muzzleloading season, or expanded archery season. Crossbows are still permitted otherwise for disabled hunters. A person who applies for the crossbow hunting license, other than a junior hunting license, must submit proof of having successfully completing an archery hunting education course and a crossbow hunting course or evidence of having previously held adult archery and crossbow hunting licenses issued specifically for the purpose of hunting with a crossbow or bow and arrow in this State or any other state, province or country in any year after 1979.
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
207-287-8000

Now is it just me, or does this seem odd. You can't use it during the archery season, but you have to have past Archery safety. Hey MDIFW, is it archery or not. Make up your mind.

Randy
Old 04-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Maine

Hey what they got is better than nothing. Atleast they got their foot in the door. Some states NO CROSS BOWS!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not knocking the season. Just the state saying it does not qualify for archery season, but you have to pass archery ed????
Randy
Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 10ptCrossbow

I'm not knocking the season. Just the state saying it does not qualify for archery season, but you have to pass archery ed????
Randy
OH yeah, I see what you mean now about the not qualifying in the archery season, but must pass archery Ed!The lobster must be poluted.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Sad as it may seem. I think that crossbow manufacturers should pool together their resources and litigate. If one must take an archery course then it must be archery. In the end what is the difference? The bow and the xbow both use a trigger, string, limbs, shafts, broadheads. I wonder why we have not heard of any legal action?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk: I respectfully disagree, and here's why. There is alot of verbage in the anti's chatter, about the "greedy xbow mfgs" being behind alot of the expansion/legalization battles. From what I've read, nothing could be further from the truth, as most mfgs are worried about their production meeting demand. This snowball is rolling down hill at an ever increasing rate, My humble opinion is the mfgs should keep on doing what they are doing, which does not fuel the anti's fire. Maybe Randy can shed some light on this. My opinion: If you want to see how well the xbow movement is progressing, just get a Cabelas Archery catalog and watch THEM go where the $ is at.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes its sad that Maine is making the archery Ed. a requirement. The good point is there is a xbow season on bear and deer! This will turn in the xbow shooters favor. This is a get their feet wet(Maine) Game & fish dept. This set up will just improve as time goes on!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's stupid. good thing i dont live in maine!!![8D]
Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Dnk: I respectfully disagree, and here's why. There is alot of verbage in the anti's chatter, about the "greedy xbow mfgs" being behind alot of the expansion/legalization battles. From what I've read, nothing could be further from the truth, as most mfgs are worried about their production meeting demand. This snowball is rolling down hill at an ever increasing rate, My humble opinion is the mfgs should keep on doing what they are doing, which does not fuel the anti's fire. Maybe Randy can shed some light on this. My opinion: If you want to see how well the xbow movement is progressing, just get a Cabelas Archery catalog and watch THEM go where the $ is at.
Awshucks,
We at TenPoint agree with you. I cannot speak for the other companies, but we are not in the business of setting seasons and figuring out what is best in a certain area. States have trained and educated people for those decisions. The ball is rolling and most of that is due to education. The states have realized, through hands on and other states stats, that the crossbow is not the evil weapon it has been protayed as. If the crossbow were as easy and as deadly as the Pope and Young people are saying, OH would not have any deer left. Last I checked, we have the longest season we've ever had, a large deer herd, big bucks are still killed every year, the poaching percentage is LOWER then the compound and the success rate is virtually the same. The myths appear to be just that, myths. The ATA and the NBEF are both doing a good job with educating people on what a crossbow is and what it does and DOES NOT do. We will continue to let them do their job and we will do ours.
Our only concern is making the best crossbow with the best safety features and is the most user friendly. If we do that, things will go well. The other pieces will fall into place.
Randy
Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

So you guys do not think that the xbow mfgrs should push to have xbow put in the same catagory as compunds??

Quick Reply: Maine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.