Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Maine

Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maine

Dnk: that just would give the "anti's" fuel for an already dieing fire. We/they all know the truth, but someone who doesn't may believe that crap about xbow mfgs just pushing it for the money. It's just my opinion, but there are guys like us everywhere to spread the word.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

The greatest STINK behind what happened with this law in Maine was the Maine Bowhunters Association [MBA]. I talked with the president about a year ago and the said the he and the MBA were not aganist crossbows for the handicapped to hunt with during the archery season and had pushed for the change in the law to allow the handicappped hunter to use a crossbow; but, beyond that, he and the MBA were additamently aganist any crossbow being used during the archery season. When I told him I was a traditionalist and I didn't want a compound bow used during the archer season because it was nothing more then a mechanical bow no traditionalist would get caught with during our archery season. Now, it was a different story, and I didn't understand how much better using a compound bow made it. It was interesting to see where he stood when his bow was under attack.

Yes, we have our foot in the door; but, would a archery hunter safety course instructor let someone with a crossbow into the course, where most courses are taught by bowhunting associations?

Old 04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mox: I'd be real interested to hear what he had to say about a "trad" [you] not wanting compounds in "your" season! Most excellent question!! You know being semi-disabled, I spend alot of time reading on the ol puter. It's not the trads that are whining, and if it were, I could understand their point, even if I/We don't agree. I think when they lost the battle to compounds, then overdraws, then triggers, then mechanical releases, then the ever increasing "let-off", they just gave up. I shot a stick bow as a kid, and lemme tell ya, I know how much practise it takes.
We won't change the anti's minds, but don't need to. BTW: there are legal battles going on. There is a fellow who is spear heading a drive to have disabled archers get permits to use the xbow in states where they can't yet. His group is the Alliance For Disabled Archers and has a web site. Once the various states deny the applicants, he is filing suit under the ADA act. People like him, DJH, and others too numerous to name are keeping the ball rolling, it's just a matter of time and providing the uninformed/misinformed fence sitters w/ good info. Keep the faith ya'll!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

awshucks,,,,,, He was very surprised at my traditionalist attitude. I somehow failed to mention that my Barnett Quad 300's were compounds. Every time he'd bring up a point about the compound, I'd tell him that's mechanical, making it easier, simpler, requiring less practice, etc. He had to depart knowing there were anti's out there aganist all compound bows. It was a pure joy to reverse the role on him. One of the last things I said to him was that I was working very hard to get compound bow removed from the archery season. I thought he was going to completely loose it at that point.

What I really didn't want him to lknow was my real attitude. To me it's not which bow we use, long, recurve, compound, or crossbow. It's that we are sportsmen with a common quest; but, I do not think he see it that way.

The ANTI's have really got to love it when we fight among ourselves!

When I go home to Maine to hunt it's with a Remington 700 ADL in 270 Winchester in my hands and I'd have it no other way. Here in Massachusetts it's with my Quad 300 and I'd have it no other way now.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 PM

Its a long battle that we are slowly making progress in as more states come on board. In time hopefuly more will open up to it, And as you said Moxie hopefuly the compunds give up the fight as the traditional archers did. But as for the archery class I think they should have to take and pass it. Ohio does not have a class as such but I think they should for archery and gun. I think you should have to pass a class proving your skills on a target with a bow or a gun in order to get a deer permit. I see alot of deer running around wounded some archery, mostly gun deer from uneducated people just throwing arrows and lead. I admit I am not perfect but all the deer that I have shot at but one have went down. The only one that didn't was because I was excited and had my finger on the arrow barrel when I shot and I pulled the bow down while shooting when it felt like my finger was being defleshed and the arrow hit about three feet in front of it in the ground. The classes could only make hunters better and less wounded deer. But I do agree about what was said forits not in the archery season but have to take the archery class.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Hotburn76,,,,,, A good safety course for crossbows would be good and to have to prove you skill with it also; but, do you want to take an archery hunters safety course that has excellent chances of being taught by someone who is anti crossbow?

DNK,,,,, I believe we've brought up an interesting point here for future consideration - a crossbow hunters safety course which can be taught by people who hunt with crossbows. Could this be a good subject for an article in HBH magazine?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: moxie1884

Hotburn76,,,,,, A good safety course for crossbows would be good and to have to prove you skill with it also; but, do you want to take an archery hunters safety course that has excellent chances of being taught by someone who is anti crossbow?

DNK,,,,, I believe we've brought up an interesting point here for future consideration - a crossbow hunters safety course which can be taught by people who hunt with crossbows. Could this be a good subject for an article in HBH magazine?

My thoughts also Moxie!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Maybe my last sentance came out wrong. I think the archery class is wrong for CB if you can't hunt with them in the archery season. But any class that teaches shot placement would be good. And your right, givin by an anti CB would not help the class or the students.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I am all for requiring Archery Ed for the crossbow. It is a good course and is covered well by NBEF. However, don't require archery Ed if I can't use it during the archery season. If I have to take archery ed, then I should be able to use it during archery, since it is archery equipment.
Randy
Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

A good point 10pt. I agree, that if someone takes an archery hunters safety course, they should be able to hunt during the archery season. A bow is a bow is a bow, whether log, recurved, compound or cross.

Quick Reply: Maine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.