Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

carbon

Old 04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default carbon

I see it every so often and now I have to say something about carbon arrows. Aluninum arrows bend and dent thats true. Carbons MUST be tested before any shooting session and should be checked if there are any collisions. I've seen a photo of a guy's hand after shooting a cracked arrow. There were very long splinters thru his hand!!! I pulled an arrow out of a bag target and got 5 small but very painfull splinters in the palm of my hand.
Flex the shaft 4 or 5 times and listen and watch for cracks. Pay attention does it straighten out right away or does it seem to take its time. If it appears damaged in any way toss it.
The damage to you the shooter and bystanders is possible grave and serious. You could loose your eye sight. The bolt could literally explode before it leaves the xbow. It could veer off, up, down, left and right
Be carefull guys, I don't want to loose anyone of ya!
Guys go and read a few arrow manufacturer's warnings and inspection instruction asap.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: carbon

Very true indeed. I know that my bolts sink very far into my block target and it takes alot of pull to get them out. I can't imagine what it would feel like if one splintered on impact and you found out the hard way.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice Dnk. I have about 3 dozen carbons. No aluminums. I don't shoot the same place twice [except for off hand match] so I don't have a collision problem. I do keep a sharp eye on them, and I'm shootin the bejesus out of them. I like the fact that they don't bend, they are either perfect or junk. It's the inbetween you wanna watch.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I see it every so often and now I have to say something about carbon arrows. Aluninum arrows bend and dent thats true. Carbons MUST be tested before any shooting session and should be checked if there are any collisions. I've seen a photo of a guy's hand after shooting a cracked arrow. There were very long splinters thru his hand!!! I pulled an arrow out of a bag target and got 5 small but very painfull splinters in the palm of my hand.
Flex the shaft 4 or 5 times and listen and watch for cracks. Pay attention does it straighten out right away or does it seem to take its time. If it appears damaged in any way toss it.
The damage to you the shooter and bystanders is possible grave and serious. You could loose your eye sight. The bolt could literally explode before it leaves the xbow. It could veer off, up, down, left and right
Be carefull guys, I don't want to loose anyone of ya!
Guys go and read a few arrow manufacturer's warnings and inspection instruction asap.

Thanks for the warning DnK. No one has ever pointed out these things about Carbon to me!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Spike

Another thing to watch for is damage directly under the vanes - where you grab the carbon shaft pulling it out of a hard target. Alot of times using a "gripper" or just squeezing too hard will damage the shaft right there when removing the arrows.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Try soaping the suckers, it is much easier to pull the shafts out.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Hey awshucks,

I replied to your PM but got an error massage. Thanks for the tip. Where do you find those pullers?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

G Pea Danny Miller [740] 483-2312. He makes them.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew there be another reason i shoot my lowly alum's.