Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Razorcaps

Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Razorcaps

I have been thinking about using a cut on contact broadhead and after doing some research the Razorcaps seem like a good one. Anyone here ever heard of them or use them? Please let me know what you think.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Razorcaps

i dont know anything about them but i'm going with the spitfire mechanicals. those things tear up a deer bad

Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Spike

i use monotec G5 cut on contact heads and they r the best thing ive tried...i wont shoot anything else
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bouncer6475

i use monotec G5 cut on contact heads and they r the best thing ive tried...i wont shoot anything else
Dnk, I have been wanting to try the mechs. for a while but not sure which one. Too many people say too many things both ways to decide. But a guy at work has these G5's and he is real happy with them and I have been considering trying them next season just not sure yet.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've looked at those. Check the razorcaps out http://www.razorcaps.com/home.html
As far as mechanicals go I've used the wasp for a few years and they leave a big cut (1 3/4") and are accurate. If used on a fast recurve xbow you have to use two o'rings to stop them from opening. You can practice with them by tying them up with a few wraps of dental floss. I do not know if they are the best mechanicals but they are the most conservative mechanicals. Yeah there are lots of them and there are lots of opinions and its confusing. I just picked the least radical one and use them. I have always used conservative broadheads and have never found a bad one. They always work for me. The most durable most accurate one I have used is the thunder heads. I shot one into a 45 gal drum and they through one side and half way into the other side and everything intact. Did it three times but the last time it lost all the blades and did a bit of damage to the shaft of the broadhead but the tip was still perfect. Problem is I haven't done that to anyother head! Did it just for fun.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Dnk, Whatcha shootin for xbow and arrow? As I recall, think you got an Excal. Know Danny Miller? He helped me take the beast out of my Emax. Went to 408 gr. LII's, Excel string. Got me down to about 330 fps, much quieter, less vibes, more accurate, [didn't think possible] better string wear. He really knows his stuff. Told me "Slick Tricks" were "the best b-head in the world". I got some 100 gr. ASAP. I don't know about best in the world, but they are awesome. I saw a test somebody did w/ them on hog shoulder somewhere, but can't seem to dig it back up. You can look at them at www.slicktrick.net. I've found they do everytrhing that's claimed of them Regards

Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

When I make up my mind up on which X-Bow, I am going to try these on hogs.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I donno Rebel, that might hurt them.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Hey Dnk, Whatcha shootin for xbow and arrow? As I recall, think you got an Excal. Know Danny Miller? He helped me take the beast out of my Emax. Went to 408 gr. LII's, Excel string. Got me down to about 330 fps, much quieter, less vibes, more accurate, [didn't think possible] better string wear. He really knows his stuff. Told me "Slick Tricks" were "the best b-head in the world". I got some 100 gr. ASAP. I don't know about best in the world, but they are awesome. I saw a test somebody did w/ them on hog shoulder somewhere, but can't seem to dig it back up. You can look at them at www.slicktrick.net. I've found they do everytrhing that's claimed of them Regards
Awshucks, so far everything that I have shot through my Exocet shot really well. Just hunting deer so everything hit died pretty quick. I have found that the smaller the cut the better the accuracy. I'm just nit picking but anything over 1 1/4 and you start seeing a very minor difference in accuracy over longer ranges (yes some BHs with larger cuts do fly well). Everyone and his cousin is talking about Slick Tricks tho. They must be good! I tend to buy different broadheads out of boredom and curiosity. I still own some that I've never shot like Teckans and Muzzys.
My fav so far for my compound and xbow is thunderheads and wasp jack hammers.
I've heard good things about about Dan Miller.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk; Yeah, I'm a tinkerer too! But, when I tried the slicks, I sold the Muzzys and Wasps I had, 1 1/2 dozen at a little loss. I'm an accuracy freak. There was no comparison.

RebelHog: Don't know what choices you're down to, they will all work, just some better than others. I've had several over the years, the pick of the litter is Excals, followed by an older PSE, Had two Barnetts, real problems w/ both. Recently blew up a Quad 400 trying to get better than 3" groups @ 20 yds. Don't really know what happened, either the string jumped over the arrow or the arrow was too light, but was told by a Barnett dealer to try it. Trigger pull on the Quad was terrrible. I scan several forums, and I know that there are a ton of happy Barnett people out there, I'm not trying to diss there choices, but rather relate my ownexperiences. I really like Xbows, the worst I ever had [Whammo 80# pull] was better than none at all. I wish I had shot my buddies Excal "Vixen" before I got this monster I got now!! I can un-cock it by hand, but have to bring the Max home to shoot it into a target. No dirt here, just rocks. Have fun!!!