Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Opinions needed

Old 03-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Opinions needed

Alright guys, I have never had aninterest in bow hunting, but for the last couple of years I've have had an interest in a cross bow. I have no hunting friends that use them, but I do want to give ita try.
My state law on cross bows states that they must have a draw weight of 35pds and arrows must have 2 sharp edges with a minimum of 7/8" cutting width.
Just give me your opinions where to start, Thanks!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Opinions needed

Hello Rebel Hog,

Some of the other guys can give you more of an educated response but I’ll tell you what I bought and I love it.

I bought the Horton Real tree 175. It came with a red dot scope, a quiver, and four carbon arrows with practice tips. I paid $270.00 for the whole package at the Sportsman’s Guide store online.

This thing shoot dead accurate with the bolts I just purchased. I bought the new Easton Carbon Power bolts. I got the ones that have a flat back as opposed to the half moon backs. A pro at a local Pro Shop told me to go with the flat backs because with the half moons if their not lined up exactly with the string they turn a bit so to speak when their running down the rail. With the flat backs the string hits them flush every time.

I can tell you this at thirty yards I won’t shoot at the same spot on my target block for fear of splitting arrows. They are that accurate.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks GP

I was looking at this one, YES/NO?

150lb Rifle Crossbow
High quality rifle crossbow with a 150 pound draw, adjustable sights, safety, foot pull, durable fiber construction, and two metal tipped, aluminum, 15 inch arrows. Fires at up to 250 feet per second with accuracy of up to 65 yards.
This a heavy duty, powerful crossbow that is great for hunting or for target practice. Adding the razor sharp broadhead tips to the arrows gives you the take down power for your large game. Please check your local hunting regulations for use of crossbows for hunting.
This rifle crossbow requires strength to string and to cock the bow. It will probably take two people to string the bow. One person to pull both ends of the bow back far enough, and your friend to actually put the string on.
Cross bow string wax available. Reapply wax after every 10 shots to prolong string life. NEVER dry fire (shooting without an arrow loaded) your crossbow or you will wear out the string very quickly.
Standard shipping is FREE for all retail orders totaling $100.00 or more! (48 Continental US orders only) Flat rate of $6.95 shipping applies to orders under $100.00.

Purchase this rifle crossbow today!

$109.95 each
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rebel Hog. Assuming you are not going to stalk with the xbow I would recommend an Excalibur and their "right stuff" package. I say that about stalking because Excaliburs have no wheels which makes them more accurate and trouble free but they are wide so walking in the brush is a pain. Other than that they are awsome. Tons of power, good customer service, rifle like trigger and very accurate. The package contains everything else you need broad heads etc. I have not idea as to the realitive price of the bow. Don't get me wrong there are lot of great bows out there and its hard to go wrong. Excalibur's main claim to fame is their simplicity and lack of trouble. Take your time, visit all the forums and pick out what turns your crank. Excaliburs site is excaliburcrossbow.com. Most of all have fun figuring out what bow to buy!
Broadheads is another subject. Your going to have to experiment to figure out what works for you. There are tons of good broad heads. I use fixed Wasps, Wasp mechanicals and Thunder Heads... all 100 grain with a min cutting diameter of 1 1/8th" and a max of 1 3/4' for the wasp jack-hammer-sst. They are all accurate, reliable and tough. I shot an attacking 45 gallon drum with a thunderhead last week (it looked like a suicide bomber). The broadhead is still perfect accept the dull edges and it went through one side and half way though the other side.
Again have fun.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Thanks GP

I was looking at this one, YES/NO?

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Purchase this rifle crossbow today!
[align=center][/align]

[align=center][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]$109.95 each[/align]
What the heck is it? You are probably well served by going to a few pro shops so you can shoot the perspective xbows.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

It takes two people to string the bow???!?!?!
My bow is 165 lbs and I think nothing of stringing and unstringing it. Now for needing two people to cock it???!?!??! again!!!!! Grean Pea can you immagine that??? Hey Green Pea I am going to practice and shoot thirty bolts today can you come along? Hey Green Pea if I miss the deer can you come over to my stand and help me cock my bow?
Oh I am sorry but I couldn't help myself.... all in good fun. Honest now DON'T BUY IT!!!
Green Pea which end you want this time? hehehee
Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

BTW shooting at a deer at 65 yards is considered irresponsible by many. Xbows are not lazers or rifles they have a shorter practical range than compounds have. My max distance is less than 40 yards.
PS: what Green Pea is saying about his xbow is correct he is not exagerating.
PPS: I am not making fun of you just the ad you posted
Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Dnk, will check into the one you mentioned and the one GP mentioned.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Dnk, they guarantee that each and every bow they produce is capable of shooting groups of 3" or less at 25 yards using broadheads. Is this true?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Dnk, they guarantee that each and every bow they produce is capable of shooting groups of 3" or less at 25 yards using broadheads. Is this true?
Who is that Rebel Hog?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.