Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Opinions needed

Old 03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Opinions needed

Thanks Bon Ami, Sq23, Omeg and Dnk. Now let me go and get the feel from each one of these!Then we will talk about arrows and broadheads.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

And so the best time in owning a crossbow begins. All the best!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

See what happens when you go hunting on Sundays. You miss all the fun here. Hey DNK, pull yourself away from that PC and get in them woods. There’s yotes out there and their up to no good.

The Excalibur is probably the best cross bow made. I chose the Horton because for the price it was hard to beat. I got everything for $270.00 Actually I got lucky because it turned out to be one of the better brand of bows available and at the time I bought it I didn’t know much about any of them.

As far as customer service both the Excalibur and the Horton have flawless customer service. I got to experience that first hand because I had some trouble with mine right off the get go. The Sportsman’s Guide store that I purchased it from sent me a new one and had UPS come and get the other one. They told me that is what Horton would want them to do.

Go shoot them both. Hell go shoot the Ten Point while you’re at it. Either brand will put a smile on your face.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:39 AM

Man what happened? There is a handfull of guys that post often and were lucky to get four or five a day, Go to work yesterday and go straight to bed and get up and see three pages is awsome!! I hope I am not to late for you Rebel Hog because DNK could have tainted ya with the excaliburs, LOL and just kidding. As you will see alot of the guys on here buy and shoot hortons. Mainly because the price and there reputation. I do not know anyone personally that has an excalibur but the guys like DNK seam to like them quite well. I do know two people that have titan ten points and they both had problems and have since switched to hortons, Not saying titan tens are bad just those are the only two I know of. My dad bought me a horton when I was sixteen and I shot it 13 years and only replaced the string once. I bought a new horton super max this year and now my dad hunts with my old one. Never had any problems with my old or new bow. I like hortons and most of the people in my area use them, mainly because Ohio was one of the first states to legalize CB and horton was one of the first big guys to start serving them so that is probally why ohio is a horton state. As for the three inch groups at 25 yards I would be embarassed to say that. Both of my hortons were nock busters and you cant shoot at the same dot because you will start running out of arrows, Excalibur guys say the same thing. I like hortons because they have a larg span on price and all the bows are accurate right out of the box, just read some of green pea and squirell post to see there fast results. That is what you will like about the CB you don't have to be in love with target shooting to get good at it, sight it in and just go hunting. As for your question that bow you showed looks a little cheep to me. Also you say just an old sinner saved by grace, and we have talked in other post but if you are old, I dont know you may want to get a CB with cams on it. I have heard that recurve CB are harder to pull back, not sure just what I have heard. And don't be afraid to get a cocking device, I have been thinking more and more about it lately. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for your reply HB76. Yep, you're right, I'm 66yrs old. I hunted hogs with dogs for over 50yrs, but since I had by-passes in my legs in 2000, I can't run after the dogsas I use to, so I started standdeer hunting. Have always hunted hogs with side arm and deer with rifle.
I have no hunting buddies that use an X-bow and I have to ask guys at the counters for advice, but now I have this X-bow forum with guys that are in the know. I have never hunted with bow and arrow and don't know anything and very little terminology on the subject.
I will be going to Bass Pro in Orlando real soon and will try the re-curves and compounds to see which ones I can handle the best.After that I will start asking questions on arrows and broadheads.Thanks again to all.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Thanks for your reply HB76. Yep, you're right, I'm 66yrs old..........
I have never hunted with bow and arrow and don't know anything and very little terminology on the subject.
Thats the nice thing about CB's reb, If you get a good one-(horton) and just practice a little you don't need to know alot. The guys who shoot compounds have to put alot into it to be good at it. I say in order to be a good compound or recurve hunter you have to almost like practice more then the hunt because you have to do it alot. They also have a whole world or gadgets that don't come with the bow that you have to buy after the bow and thats were things get tricky for them too many options and to many people giving out good advice. With your CB I would sugest getting a multirectical scope, I used to have a single red dot scope and I loved it, and alot of the guys have the three dot red dots and love them two.My supermax came with the multirectical and I think it is the way to go. The only downside to the red dot are it sucks when you get out in the field only to realize you forgot to turn it off last time and now your a dead duck in the water, batteries suck! As far as arrows gojust go with whatever your bow company sells,they know what is best for the bow unlike the long bow guys that have to buy many arrows and have to try and tune to get the right one. I shoot horton arrows only and have never had a problem. The only thing about CB that areup fordiscussion is the broadhead. I have always used muzzys but have been thinking about trying mechanicals. The muzzys have never let me down, I just have an itch for trying the mechs. Iasked the question on here a while back but with broadheads you end up arguing is the glass half full or half empty. Both sides have good points so its hard to say which is better. Let us know when you get back from bass pro and giveus theupdate. Also I almost forgot about why I even did the quote at the top. 66 and now thatyour statehasseen the light you get to try a new thing, I think that is just too cool!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Thanks for your reply HB76. Yep, you're right, I'm 66yrs old..........
I have never hunted with bow and arrow and don't know anything and very little terminology on the subject.
66 and now thatyour statehasseen the light you get to try a new thing, I think that is just too cool!
I second that!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am one of the "Excalibur guys." First off, if I didn't have an Excal, I'd have a Horton. I like the Excal better, because of fewer moving parts, and the fact that I can change strings in no time. I have the Exomax, 225# draw weight, and it's way more than I need. I've shot their cheapest model called a Vixen 150#, about $300 and it is adequate for almost all N American game. They offer a rope-cocking device, which does two things. It cuts the draw weight in half, and it assures the string is centered every shot, which is critical to accuracy. They also sell a scope called the Varizone, which has an adj. ring for different fps. You sight in at 20 yds. and then go to 30, and adj your poi up and down via small adj w/ ring. It is spot on then at all other ranges. It doesn't have a bunch of horz. lines, but rather small triangles on vert crosshair. It sells from $89 to $109. You can get good deals and learn tons about these on Excals Forum. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I am one of the "Excalibur guys." First off, if I didn't have an Excal, I'd have a Horton. I like the Excal better, because of fewer moving parts, and the fact that I can change strings in no time. I have the Exomax, 225# draw weight, and it's way more than I need. I've shot their cheapest model called a Vixen 150#, about $300 and it is adequate for almost all N American game. They offer a rope-cocking device, which does two things. It cuts the draw weight in half, and it assures the string is centered every shot, which is critical to accuracy. They also sell a scope called the Varizone, which has an adj. ring for different fps. You sight in at 20 yds. and then go to 30, and adj your poi up and down via small adj w/ ring. It is spot on then at all other ranges. It doesn't have a bunch of horz. lines, but rather small triangles on vert crosshair. It sells from $89 to $109. You can get good deals and learn tons about these on Excals Forum. Good luck and good shooting.
And another Excaliber Club member speaks up!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I want to thank you all for your kind opinions, but I have another question, anyone have experience with Barnett?
The reason I ask, is because the factory is 9 or 10 miles west of me in Odessa,FL...Thanks

Quick Reply: Opinions needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.