Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Opinions needed

Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Opinions needed

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Dnk, they guarantee that each and every bow they produce is capable of shooting groups of 3" or less at 25 yards using broadheads. Is this true?
Who is that Rebel Hog?
Maybe that's why Excalibur has won the US National Crossbow Championships for the last eight years and the Canadian 3-D Championship crossbow class for the last six years! With Excalibur, accuracy is more than just a word, it's a guarantee! They guarantee that each and every bow they produce is capable of shooting groups of 3" or less at 25 yards using broadheads… target arrows? Better shoot one per target or you'll be buying more.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

That Rebel Hog is a rediculous claim. Its rediculous because they are alot better than that. Green Pea damages his bolts at 20 yards if he shoots at the same dot. The Excaliburs are probably the most accurate xbows and can do much better than 3 inches at 25 yards. That is very very conservative. I have gone through so many of my bolts with my Exocet that I won't test the group size at 25 yards (hehehe slow learner). Maybe 35 - 40 yards but at 20 yards the bolts are on a suicide mission for any good xbow.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

These are the one's I'm looking at. DnK, what's the difference between the Exocet and the Exomax?

Horton Legend® XL 175 Crossbow Package
$549.99

Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Package
$649.99

Excalibur Exocet Crossbow Package
$599.99
Old 03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The Exomax has a 16.5 inch stroke which causes the limbs to give you a 225 lb stroke and the Exocet 200 has an inch shorter stroke which gives you a 200 lb stroke. The Exomax yeilds350 fps and the Exocet 200 gives 330 fps. If you are hunting deer you do not need anything more than the Vixen. The trajectories are pretty much the same and the Vixen will zip through a deer at 40 yards. With the Vixen you can shoot an awfull lot before getting tired. Check out this page http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html and the rest of the site. There is no exageration, no bull on this site to sell you something, its all true, no hype.
Remember the Excaliburs have no wheels so there is very very little to go wrong. But they are much wider than a compound xbow.
Ya gotta go and handle them. Its a blast to shoot them all.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Hey Rebel Hog, I shoot a Horton Legend and love it. Infour years of hunting I have shot 5 times and killed 5 deer with it.

It is a simple easy bow to handle without killing your wallet too awfully badly. Dont get me wrong, the others are very good bows too. I think if you stick to any of the good names in Crossbows you will be OK (Horton, TenPoint, Excalibur of which the Horton would be the least expensive).

Any ofthe quality crossbows are going to be fairly accurate. As has been stated by some others, get some extra arrows because once you get the hang of it you will be shooting arrow groups that touch, or robin hood the last shot. Last year I went damaged 5 other bolts during practice.

Good Hunting!
Old 03-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Omegalover

Any ofthe quality crossbows are going to be fairly accurate. As has been stated by some others, get some extra arrows because once you get the hang of it you will be shooting arrow groups that touch, or robin hood the last shot. Last year I went damaged 5 other bolts during practice.

Good Hunting!
LOL slow learner too eh?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey rebel,

i ordered and recieved my horton legend and i also love it. easy to cock, only 150lb draw weight for me, but i had bolts touching in the bullseye. i cant wait to go and get my spitfires. u cant go wrong with a horton
Old 03-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what you say Omegalover. Long term (20 or more years and thousands of shots later) the Excalibur will be cheaper. I have had mine since 2002. I sent the limbs back a couple of years ago because my flemish strings were fraying a bit at the loops and they repaired them and shipped them back n/c prepaid. Other than that all I do is buy new strings and ah replace bolts because some idiot keeps shooting at a dot that has a bolt in it already. On the other hand your bow works and is lots cheaper to buy. Which is not a bad idea because you may find that crossbows aren't your thing and if you do find you like them then you can BUY ANOTHER!!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rebel Hog, We have bumped into each other in seveal places, after looking at the posts and since this has been my field for 40 years I thought I would mention a few things.
The best xbow in certain areas Excalibur,if not the best is awful close to it they are simple to keep working good among the most accurate and and very fast. The only weak point is cocking mechanism, only 10 point has a really excellant cocking system and they stay right with excaliber for speed and accuracy but have wheels and cables to maintain.
Horton is about the best buy dollar for dollar [get the most for the least money].
If you get something that shoots over 300 fps with a 2219 it will do a good job on hogs even big boar, as well as deer and bear. Lee
Old 03-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Dnk for that web-site, it answered many, many questions.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.