Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

draw weight question

Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default draw weight question

ok i've made up my mind. i'm getting a horton legend XL. if i went to gander mountian or bass proshop could i have them order me one with like a 150 lb. draw weight. and also how do these shoot spitfires? i'm hearing some gooood stuff about these little daggers. my friend shoots them and he can take down a deer pretty dang quick.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Default RE: draw weight question

Im not sure If you can still get the XL anymore, maybe they may have a few left in stock,the new lengends are called Legend HD Pro. You can get one in the 150# draw too. It shoots at 280 fps with 72 pounds of energy on impact. Just go to www.crossbow.com and you can get all of hortons info. As for the mechs you are talking about I too have the itch to try them, just have not done it yet. I am sure you can order it just give them a call.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

thnks hotburn76. i looked on ebay and i'm absloultly drooling all over a horton firehawk on ebay. ohhh man that thing is beautyfull! are they worth 450$?

Old 02-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Not sure on the firehawk but I seen on hortons web page the sugested retail price for a new legend is 400 bucks, and the srp are usally higher than what they go for in the stores. Ebay is good just becareful, their are some low feedback people that will rip you off.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Good for you squirrelkilla23. Try a variety of broad heads. Don't leave out the old standards that really work well like wasps and thunderheads. Most of all have tons of fun. If your new xbow is as accurate as mine do not shoot at the same bullseye or you will be smackin them up. Good luck and don't forget to have fun!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

i have a legend SL that i bough new in 1998. still a great bow and the only thing i have done is replace the string............ONCE !!!!!as for how they shoot a particular broadhead, i say practice with what you are going to use because they will shoot differnt with defferent broadheads. I shot mechanicla one year and hated them. I use Muzzy 125gr. blades. Super broad head and dead on with my set up. good luck.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:49 AM

I shoot Spitfires from my Horton Legend and love them. They have never failed to open for me and the Chisel tip really does a number if you hit bone.

I underestimated the range of aspike bucktwo years ago, figured him for 35 yards he was only 28. The bolt caught him in the backbone and dropped him on the spot. Unfortunately, I did have to use another bolt to dispatch the deer.

After cleaning him the arrow had completely shattered his vertabre just aft of the shoulder. So it had cut through several inches of meat and still had enough power left to shatter a fairly good sized bone.

Like many other posts on this forum you have folks who like different styles bows, arrows, broadheads, etc. They all have a fairly valid point to their like or dislike. Some folks have had problems with mechanicals, personally I have not and like them very well.

Teamster, just noticed you are from Madison Co, I am too although I hunt in Champaign Co.maybe we will have to get together for and share some hunting stories.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:22 AM

SK23 ; I have a Barnett quad 400 150lb. I also shoot the spitfire mechancials with great results.never had a problem.only thing I have to do is resharpen the blades.had a couple bent because of hitting a leg bone.two into the backbone.

Barnett is a good xbow IMHO and cost quite a few $$$$$ less.great warrenty.
I always use the same head to pratice that I do to hunt.with the spitfire you can get pratice blades.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default WHAT DRAW WEIGHT IS RIGHT FOR ME?

WHAT DRAW WEIGHT IS RIGHT FOR ME?

I believe that Horton has the best answer for "What Draw Weight is the Best for Me?" When a prospective customer calls Horton and asks whether he or she should buy a 150#, 175# or a 200# crossbow, they ask one simple question: "How far do you want to walk to pick up your arrow after it has passed through the animal?"

That sums it up in a nutshell! I personally think that 150# is all you need. A side benefit is that a 150# crossbow is that it is more user-friendly. It’s easier to cock. There is less wear and tear on your sting and serving. It doesn’t shake apart as quickly and as dramatically whilestill killingthem dead! There are places for the heavier weights. Like Africa for example. If I was going after elephants or cape buffalo, I would use an Excalibur ExoMax with 225#. However, for a little ol’ whitetail the Vixen will kill it just as dead and be a whole lot easier on my aging body.

Now remember, friends, this is just my opinion. And it is the opinion of a man that drives 65 in a 70 MPH speed zone. The 150# crossbows I have are accurate, deadly and very easy to use and at my age, I am into easy. I just wish the "Red-Head" was a little easier!