Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Stands vrs. Ground

Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Stands vrs. Ground

I am a relatively new hunter and i was wondering this: I know the majority of bow/xbow hunters hunt from tree stands, but i hunt from the ground, still hunting i guess.

Is there a distinct advantage to hunting a stand, comparedto the ground?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Default RE: Stands vrs. Ground

Just trying to get some good info to increase my chances of getting a deer
Old 01-26-2006, 07:39 PM

I personally don't like hunting from the ground. If you happen to find a good spot at the last second then sit on the ground 'cause it is better than not hunting at all. But if you can I would hunt from a stand. I always end up thinking "A deer will see me here for sure" and then end up moving sports 3-4 times. A deer has a very good chace of seeing you if you are on the ground and it is in bow range.

Being in a stand is 10 times better even if it is only 12 feet, but higher is better.

[/align]
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most definately,A deers main defense is smell sight and sound;in a stand you are above his normal line of sight,if their is any breeze it blows your scent over his head [but stay downwind anyway]sitting still in a good comfortable stand there is no excuse for movement or noise. I started hunting out of trees in 1957 since then Ihave taken 102 deer with every kind of bow and 29 with firearms. And the fun is not over yet.Lee
Old 01-26-2006, 08:18 PM

I prefer a treestand,you can get away with more movement than on the ground.you sent is not on his level and you can see better.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:48 AM
swanny evans

Treestand by far is the best choice the majority of the time. I like to get up there about 25 ft it keeps ur scent off the ground and any movement you make will be concealed. there are some setups where hunting from the ground is necesary.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 AM

I am hunting on the ground this year mainly because i have no tree stand(go figure), and i'm hunting a kind of marshy field area where there is no trees (its a bedding area)

I have every intention of hunting from a stand next year, but this year i was just trying to get a little bit of "practiice" and maybe get lucky if a shot presents itself

Thanks for all the help
Old 01-27-2006, 06:09 AM

I used to hunt from the ground, mainly because I never owned a stand and never been with anyone who did use one. Then A new friend got me into stand hunting and I was really surprized athow many more deer I seen. Get up to twenty feet and you will have a good time and see lots more deer.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:21 AM

I hunt from a treestand. If you are hunting with a bow on the ground you are at a distinct disadvantage because of scent & movement. If you want to be successful this year it will depend a lot on your scouting. You mentioned it was a bedding area so you will have to set up on a "Active" trail that leads in and out. If you can find and intersection were 2 trails intersect you can "Double" you chances. You will have to construct a ground blind to help conceal you and your movement. You can use old tree branches built ito a triangle high enough to sit in without being seen. If you do this build your blind "EARLY" so the deer get use to seeing it. If it was me I would pick my stand location and build it "Now" for next year. If local trees are not an option I would purchase a portable camo blind to get me thru my first year. You must must do everything in your power to eliminate your sent and make sure you are down wind. If the wind is "Wrong" and blowing your scent over the trails you will be watching "Don't" use your ground blind that day or you will blow your cover and these deer will quickly learn to "avoid" you !!! Good Luck
Old 01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with DeerMe in choosing a spot for a ground blind that is where 2 or more trails intersect (or 1/2 way between 2 trails if they are both within range).
I would also add that if you make your blind completely enclosed on top with only a small entrance in one corner, it will be much darker inside, easier to see outside, and less chance for deer to spot your movements. You can also incorporate a tarp into the roof to make it waterproof.
Also, make your shooting hole(s) as small as it is practical to shoot out. With a crossbow, they shouldn't need to be very largeat all.
I would add that it's a good idea to practice from the blind to make sure of seat height, ability to get on target, and crossbow limb clearance.
Do the work as early in the year as possible, have everything set by mid-summer, then stay away until opening day. I have a friend who will never climb into a tree, but gets multiple deer every year by using this method. Good Luck!

IM jaybe

Quick Reply: Stands vrs. Ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.