Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Stands vrs. Ground

Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 PM

Default RE: Stands vrs. Ground

I think i am totally underestemating my opponent...I didnt really think about how stupid my hunting "plan" was...I am pretty much exposed in my makeshift "blind" (which consists of sitting by a tree with weeds around it) the one thing i have going for me is i play the wind right

I guess if i have any chance of getting a deer this season i better get out to my location and scramble a spot together, make it the best i can...well im off to do that!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer an elevated stand but will take a ground blind if it is immediately available for a shooting situation.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 PM

I mostly hunt on the ground using a ground blind i personally like that better than sitting up in a treestand its just me.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Crossbuck, I can't smell as good or hear as good as even the dumbest deer, so I like to stand hunt as high as possible so at the very least I'll be able to see the deer hopely before he sees me. The advantage of stand hunting gives the hunter a greatly larger viewing area to watch compared to ground hunting with it's limited view. Besides, I get fidity hunting and movements in an elevated stand are a lot more forgiving than being on the ground level with our most worthy adversary, The Great American Whitetail Deer.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunted whitetail bucks for last 45 years or so here in pa..i had to think which is better.i would say that ground hunting is better in archery when deer are not pressured as much. i saw many bucks out of my stand that i know i could have got on ground.if you watch wind and know where buck is coming /going, ground is best as you can MOVE . the biggest bucks i got over years were always takenon ground.they walked right by me at 10 to 20 yards.in rut you cant pattern a buck.i see hunters in treestands and hear same comments, buck went here, he never stopped and went there and there.when i am on ground i can dog that big buck while he has doe on his mind.trust me, a lot of times that big buck does not care if i am following him .so, i hunt both tree and ground but my best bucks were always on ground because i could MOVE. take care. p.s, i hunt no higher than 12 to 14 ft above ground.i have yet to have deer smell me, so, getting up 20 ft 25 ft 30 ft ,well, ha, do i have to answer that,take care.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM

I have had success in both...but by far, much more success in a tree! I often hunt in a suburban setting...it's also a lot safer!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a climber but I normally hunt from either an improvised natural or pop-up ground blind . I'm not crazy about heights , and being in a swaying tree makes me sick . It's really a matter of individual prference .
Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

here is example. this year in pa. PGC is wiping deer out here in 2g.just about everyone i talked too that was in a treestand did not get a deer. most said they only saw a few deer and most were moving or you could not set up and expect deer to come your way. then i talked to ones that hunted increw or singleonground. half got their deer.what i am saying is ,things are changing do to LACK of deer here in WMU2G. tree sitters are getting very few deer and walkers/stalkers are.why, you have to be able to move on those last few deer left now. when there was a lot of deer, no problem in trees.no, ITS HOW FAST CAN YOU MOVE AND SET UP .take care.