Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Yukon sl

Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yukon sl

Hey G O N, I have a Yukon SL and I have taken 10 deer with it in the last 3 years. That crossbow is more than enough for deer. It gives me pass throughs almost every time. I put the Horton scope on it and it's Real accurate!!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM

I agree the Horton is an excellent crossbow for the money.I have taken several deer with it. I limit my shots from 20 to 30 yards. I would not take a 40 yard shot with "ANY" crossbow. If you want to target shoot you can hit 40 and 50 yard groups but these are not "Kill" shots. I used Horton 2219 aluminum arrows with 100 grain mechanical Spitfire blades. You will find out that in the "Majority" of cases Horton shoot fixed blades "Terrible" and various mechanical blades excellent. Our hunting camp has 11 Hortons and only "One" will shoot a good group with a fixed blades. If you find that a used Horton cannot shoot good groups with a field point at 20 yards you need a "New" string ! I had a Horton scope on mine but many people do well with a red dot or the peep site. If the price is reasonable and it appears to be in "Good" condition....Buy It...you won't be sorry !!! Sincerely, Deerme
Old 01-25-2006, 03:43 PM

GON- are you considering purchasing a Yukon? it appears you are...i give it a 9 out of 10
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

well i have a yukon but i just got it like 2 or 1 week ago but i havent gone to the woods with it so i wanted to know how many people have used it and think if its a good crossbow or was it a waste of money? but from reading the post's i think it was worth it but i'm going to the woods this friday and saturday so i wanted to know what people had to say about it. i have a red dot on mine its a walther red dot and its pretty coolwhat do you all use?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

how high do you have your stand early in?[>:]do you hit vitals? what is your biggest deer? how far were you?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

so the yukon will shoot fixed blabes bad? mechanical are better? because i have muzzy 90 grain i think on mine so wich mechanical blades would you think for a yukon sl?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 PM

At our hunting camp we have sited in 10 or 11 Horton Crossbows over the years and only have (1) that shot consistent groups with a fixed blade "Regardless" how we tried to tune them. I would try your fixed blade and see how they shoot for you. You may be that (1) that shoots fine. If so stay with a fixed blade. I'm not a big fan of any broadhead under a 100 grains but that is your choice. I shot 100 grain Spitfire Mechanicals and the shoot "Excellent" out of a Yukon. They are only available in 100 or 125 grains ony as far as I now. If you buy these to hunt "Don't" practice with them...you will only dull your blades. Buy field points that match the grain broadhead you will be useing and "Practice" with these "Only". "The mechanical broadhead will hit "EXACTLY" where your field points hit (Trust Me On This) !!! Make sure you use a rail lubricant to maintain consistent groups and reduce string drag & wear. I have only hunted with Spitfire mechanicals but ther are a number of other companies that produce excellent mechanicals !!! Good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

ok i will try them thank you
Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

G O N, I shoot 100 gr. Spitfires with theHorton 2216 aluminum bolts. I have the Horton Mult-A-Range 4x32 scope. Awesome groups! I usually hunt at 15-20 feet. Out of the ten I've gotten, three were bucks. The biggist is a basket 8pt. Two years ago I shot a neat looking Piebald, almost all white. Hey G O N, the Yukon isn't the top of the line of crossbows but all I can say is I'm more than happy with mine. I can't knock success.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry G O N, almost forgot, most shots have been lung shots with one spine shot (dropped on the spot). I won't shoot past 30 yrds. Also, I keep a set of three practice Spitfires. I'm a believer in practicing with whatI hunt with!

Quick Reply: Yukon sl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.