Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Quietest crossbow?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Quietest crossbow?

First, I am primarily a compound hunter. That is my preferred weapon in archery season, but, I am in a suburban deer control program and we hunt the area in thegun season when the cover is sparse and our hunting spots are tight. Consequently, we find that not having to draw is an advantage in that late season.

I am very good at tuning any compound but have very little experience working with the crossbows. Here's my question. I have a Horton LegendXL and feel it is quite noisy. I put the silencer kit on it that Horton sells and it's better but still very loud. My buddy's Ten Point is far quieter. Anyone have any suggestions or shouldI justthink about spending the money for a Ten Point?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:17 PM

Default RE: Quietest crossbow?

I have a horton super max 175 and it is a little on the loud side also. The silencers help but not much. I just dont think with a CB you can get quite enough to get off a second shot like you can sometimes with a real quite compound. My buddy has a tenpoint and I really dont think his much quiter then mine. I just dont take long shots as to advoid a deer jumping the string. hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 AM

I understand a wooden stock quiets the bow considerably. There are a couple of people who make custom wood stocks for crossbows.I've seen a few & they'reworks of art. Beautiful craftsmanship.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You should check out some of the discussions on the excalibur web site forum. Most of us agree that if you shoot within 30 yards the deer will never be able to react to the string. Aparently there is a difference between what you hear and what others or the deer will hear.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

This may not be of any help, but I saw a program on the outdoor channel this past weekend - they were hunting black bear in Canada. One guy shot a bear with a crossbow (I didn't even notice if it was a compound or recurve - duh -), but when he tripped the trigger, it made a tiny little "boink" sound. I was impressed! Maybe someone else saw it or TIVO'd it and can go back to check what kind it was. I think the mic picked up most of the sound, because you could hear him whispering pretty well.

IM jaybe

Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not sure about what you have but the ones that have a hollow stock are helped quite q bit sometimes by filling the stock with foam insulation.
If you don't like the balance and you want the butt end heaver stop at a fiberglass boat repair and have them fill it. Lee
Old 01-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Excalibur xbows are quietest. They are recurves which are much quieter that compounds.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Here issome custom Robin Allen huntingCrossbows.
Probably the quietest and finest in the world.

Sag.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

Close up of the beautifulthumbhole stock.

Sag.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

i use 2 sets of limb savers on my Horton legend and it helps a ton. one far out as possible and one about half way on limbs.

Quick Reply: Quietest crossbow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.