Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Has anyone ever kept the ribs?

Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Has anyone ever kept the ribs?

From a deer?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone ever kept the ribs?

After cleaning and cutting ribs into manageable pieces, I will either wrap them in tinfoil with BBQ sauce and throw em on the barbie or I put them in the slowcooker for about 12 hours with some onion soup mix. After that the bones are so clean, they look like they have been scrubbed clean. Then you can make soup or maybe a sandwich spread with the meat. That`s what I do anyways. Good luck.

Ron
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Thanks, that sound GOOD!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:54 PM

I made some last night. I put them on the grill for awhile and made my own bbq sauce and put them in the oven for about 2 hours. They were great.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:52 AM

I've done it a few times. The slow cooker/crockpot is definetly the way to go!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only on big deer, no meat on the young uns.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 PM

I got a good deal of meat off my button buck.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep i do use the ribs even if not that meaty- as someone said to make soup or just a a stock base to use for other things- roast them in a oven- then simmer in a pot with spices etc
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got a good deal of meat off my button buck.
Slayer, I'm refering to the meat between the ribs(very thin) not the meat covering the ribs. I slice that off right to the bone.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jerseyhunter:

I understand you cut off the meat laying over the ribs. I do this also, and use this particular meat for making stews. It seems it would be a good candidate for making deer jerky from also.

I have only once cooked the ribs, with the small amount of meat remaining between the rib bones. I deboned alternate ribs and discarded the rib bone, leaving meat attached to every other bone. What was left was enough meat for my mother-in-law and I to make a dinner from, and maybe a little more. While this isn't much food, and maybe not worth packaging and putting in the freezer, it was my first food from that deer and consumed the day after the kill was enjoyable as a "first fruits" sort of thing. My cooking method left something to be desired, however, involving smothering in BBQ sauce and baking covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. The taste was OK, even good, but the meat was tough. Next time I'll try some other methods I have read involving a first stage of slow braising followed by a stage of grilling or roasting in the oven doctored up with BBQ sauce.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever kept the ribs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.