Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Morels?

Old 09-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Morels?

Someone enlighten me. What the heck is a morel?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Morels?

What is a morel???

Maybe the most addictive and yummy substance in the world! LOL

They're a fungus/mushroom that grows in many areas from April-early June depending on where you are in the US.

They're absolutely delicious, but be sure you know what you are eating before you ingest them...there is a false morel that is similar looking that is deadly.

Here are some pics.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another

Old 09-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yet some more...Big uns

Old 09-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info. We don't have anything like that around here. I read some posts on another message board a long time back. Someone said something about going out hunting them. Another post said it was not morel season yet. I thought from the other posts they were a mushroom, but then this led me to beleive that they might be some type of small furry animal, like a mink or a squirrel. The pictures are a big help. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Now this may be a dumb ?? but can you grow them like you can mushrooms and if so does anyone know how to do this?
Rick
Old 09-27-2004, 04:46 AM

Yes, there are sites that sell Morel Packages that are supposed to grow in your back yard.
The instructions tell you where and how they should be planted, and how long they will take to produce Morels.
I bought my Brother-In-Law a package last Christmas, and we have to wait until next Spring to see if they will grow.
Use your search button and look up Morels, there are a lot of Websites who give lots of info about them and purchasing them, either dried or the
"grow at home" packages.
Good Luck, oh yeah, They are very delicious, if they are Fried in butter until they are a little crispy.
If you like mushrooms, you will surely love Morels.
My in-laws always called them "Haystack" mushrooms.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 AM

Just remember that all morels have a little poison in them, it can affect people differently. That is why it is recommended that you start off slow with your intake to help build up some tolerance. So you don't want to go pick 3 lbs of morels and eat 'em all in one go, start with smaller portions and work up to more. There are also "false" morels in some parts of the country. Morels usually start out in the late spring depending on geography, slope, aspect and elevation. Areas that have experienced a burn in the last couple of years are prime morel spots. Areas that have recently "disturbed", logging is a good example, especially in the areas where slash has been burned. Know your mushies, if it has gills it will give you the chills, if it grows on wood it ain't good.