Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Grilling Walleye

Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Grilling Walleye

Does anyone have any tips for grilling walleye (or any freshwater fish for that matter)? I have filleted a few of them leaving the skin on for grilling but they turned out pretty bland tasting.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grilling Walleye

The only freshwater fish I ever grilled were sunnies, about 30 yrs ago. We gutted and scalled them , wrapped them in foil with salt,pepper,onion and tomatoe slices. Not really grilling but thats all I've done. Saltwater fish is another story.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet would be to get one of those little fish baskets made just for grilling fish. Lightly oil the fillets first, place in basket, season to taste, grill three or four minutes on each side over a medium heat. Simplicity is best.

Ron
Old 07-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A fish basket is great, but if you don't have one you can just make a reflective oven with tin foil and a decent wood fire. Butter and/or oil. salt and pepper, and if you have lemon-pepper even better. I like garlic salt.but whatever you like on fish toss it on. It cooks fairly fast if you wait until the coals are good, gets some of the woods taste........some tomatoes and potatoes.......I can smell it.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

GRILLING???????...OH MY.... such a waste of good walleye meat.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what i was thinking, David. Fry them puppies.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I actually BBQ'd some fresh walleye fillets tonight. In this case I used a small tin foil pan, fried up some scallops and shirmp in garlic butter first off. Once they were close to cooked, I slipped the butter in the bottom of the pan then added the walleye fillets (skin and bones removed). I made a lemon/ dill & white wine sauce in a sauce pan with salt, lemon pepper, minced garlic garlic, old bays fish seasoning, oregano, 1/2 cup of white white, 1/4 cup of cream (sour cream will work as well), whole lemon juiced and reduced. Once it simmered for a few minutes placed the shrimp and scallops in the foil pan then poured over the sauce. Put a layer of foil over top on the Barbie at med heat for 15-20 minutes...it was delish. I know this isn't grilled but it was done on one!

The fish basket is another way, but personally I don't find walleye to be the best fish to use this gadget with - HALIBUT is a different story.

BTW a walleye is a very blan fish, they need seasoning. Most prefer the pan fried because it infuses the fish with some additional flavor. If you want pan fry try some lard instead of butter, I use the crisco vegetable block ( the stuff your wife or mom uses to make pie crust). Add in some minced garlic when heating the crisco for a bit of additional flovour. Make a milk/egg wash, crush some soda crackers in a ziploc, season to liking and right to a hot cast fry pan. Just before it is finished squezze some fresh lemon on the top and watch it sizzle. I like this much better than flour as it doesn't need to cook, it is crunchy to begin with and just tastes good. If you really want to impress try adding some chopped almonds to your batter. Another pan fry receipe is beer/pancake batter, just buy the pancake batter instead of the water add beer, another favorite for the boys trip and the wifes they like it too. Especially when served with a nice chilled bottle of white wine on a bed of rice.

Oh wait I've got another favorite fish in hot sauce done the same as the lemon dill sauce on the barbie with a foil pan, except I just add some butter/hot sauce, some additional spice and kick
Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 AM

Try some blackening season on them. The wife and I use it on everything. We love it.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as grilling try seasoningf with salt and lemmon pepper(leave skin on) and baste with butter regularly works good with bass i think.

My favorite feshwater fish is steelhead marinated in zesty italian dressing and grilled, it is the best.