Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

calling all Italian cooks

Old 03-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default calling all Italian cooks

I am trying to make an horderve , It contains a slice of It. bread, slice of tomatoe(sp),slice of mozzerella,some basil a drizzel of olive oil. My wife went to Italy and had this dish and they called it a caprisi salad. Maybe I have the spelling wrong but cannot come up with a reciepe for it, although I did find one by mistake some time ago and never wrote it down. Can someone help with the spelling and or, a reciepe for it .
Now she tells me there's no bread just Tom., mozz., basil and oil. Help.........

THANK YOU
Ps also if you can reccomend a name brand good olive oil.I've tried plenty of name brands and cannot peg just the right one. Maybe an off name straight from Christopher O C. himself.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: calling all Italian cooks

Jersey, does this sound right? Insalata Caprese?
Here's a recipe I found for it......
-----------------------------------------
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup fresh basil leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a circular design around the side of a serving plate, alternate fresh mozzarella slices on a large platter (or on individual plates if you are doing individual portions) with sliced tomatoes, overlapping for effect. Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle liberally over the slices. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle capers over the top.

Just before serving, drizzle on some excellent extra-virgin olive oil. NOTE: Insalata Caprese should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time and become soggy. And no vinegar of any kind goes on Insalata Caprese!

Makes 4 servings.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks hntngirl, I know I can always count on you to come through with the info.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:15 PM

It is important, when preparing foods that are using olive oil is one of it's basic ingredient, that you use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Regular olive oil does not have the depth of taste that EVOO does.

When using oil in a pan or cooking sheet to keep things from sticking than regular olive oil will work.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:31 PM

can we get that kind of mozzerella on this side of the pond? i had that same thing in germany and i had never seen mozz. in water but it was very good
Old 03-14-2004, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of stores near me carry mozerella in water