Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Favorite Grouse Recipe?

Old 09-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Grouse Recipe?

Favorite Grouse Recipe was an experiment gone right. Took the whole grouse including legs and wings (even though not much there) stuff them with stuffing precooked with chunks of Braeburn or Pink Lady apples about 1" . Then I wrap the grouse in Honey flavored bacon and then put in an oven bag and bake for couple of hours. I sometimes put potatoes and carrots in the bag with the grouse and then all the flavor stays in the bag and I make gravey with some of the drippings to glaze over the bird, potatoes and carrots. Now my mouth is watering. Tonight I am going to try another experiment. Take a clay bean pot. Grate apples and shove in the cavity, wrap with bacon and put about half a bottle of Reisling Wine in it to bake. It sounds good, the fruity flavor of the wine should bring in a good flavor to the bird. We' ll see. Next I will try some of the ones on here. It is nice to see other bird recipes, they are hard to come by.'

Bird Killer - Wolf Killers Wife.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Well, I am eating my lunch right now. I put three grouse in a baking dish, added half a sliced onion, about 6 carrots cut up, half a can of chicken broth, a can of stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and a little parsley. Put on the lid and baked it in the oven at 375 for 1 & 1/2 hours. YUM! It' s just about melting in my mouth!
Old 10-04-2003, 06:18 PM

Prebrown the grouse in some oil and simmer it all day in your favorite spaghetti sauce (minus any other meat you usually use). I guess you could call it partridge cacciatore if you' re Italian.