Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cover scents for bears

Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default cover scents for bears

Looking for tips on what to use to cover my scent while black bear hunting. For deer I have used Coverup for several years. I believe it has vanilla in it which I understand tends to attrack bears, I really don't want them climbing in the stand with me. Also what about insect repellent that works and doesn't stink to high heaven. I have been told that this will run off the big boys.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cover scents for bears

Strawberry jelly and sow in heat. Just kidding, Ive never bear hunted before.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 PM

Great advise burnie. I was thinking of smearing yourself in honey

I've never bear hunted but I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject as I plan to hunt them this fall. From what I've read bears have excellent noses. You may find being scent free to be a better option. I'm sure others with more experience will give some tips, I'm curious to read them as well.

For bugs I would consider a thermacell. I had good luck hunting whitetails with it last fall(I was never busted while using it). Personally I like to stay away from spraying my camo with anything that smells. Be it deep woods off or no stinkin bugs, I don't like it while hunting. It's great for scouting but when it comes to getting close I don't want to take the chance.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

get yourself a tree lounge and hunt high enough that it wont matter if you smell like a number 3# sub. with extra onions
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 PM

If ya are planing on the bear smelling ya you are already on the wrong track. A bears nose is better then a deers, and I have never foiled a deer with any cover sent. Bears are smart (or should I say they know how to stay safe) they know what is going on in the woods for the most part. What I mean is if ya drive in they hear ya and wait for ya to leave, this is why some guys do the old trick of two guys in 1 guy out. Back to the sent, a bear is in no hurry they do what they want when the want and they will take there time doing it, so it is not uncomin to have on circle your stand (that is if you are using bait or calling) and if they get down wind of ya they will smell ya I dont care how much ya paied for you sent lock, and cover sent. My point is dont plan on using a sent that will bring them in, use a naturel sent like pine (match it to you area) if ya want a cover. Try and set up so they cant get down wind of ya, and if ya cant do that hope they wont. Pick up the Traditional Archer (i think that is the name) for spring, lots of good tipes for bears.

Use the wind it is you best freind and remember if a bear some how sees ya in your stand that bear will look up there when ever iyt comes in the area. So have a few options. There eye site is as good as ours, at least that is what they have told me
Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 PM

I have hunted bears for years. I do not use a cover scent but do every thing to eliminate scent including the many different scent eliminator sprays.
You certainly are correct about Coverup. It will draw a bear directly to you because of the sweet smell. The problem is not that a big bear will come up to your stand, that's not a bad thing. It's the smaller ones you need to chase off. That alerts the bigger one to your location.
I take it you plan tp hunt over bait?
If so, once you establish a hot or active bait place your stand where the wind is to your advantage. I am sure you know that but some guys put the stand out to early and don't pattern the bear long enough to determine their approach path.
Bear will check the wind in the begining but they soon figure out that a human is coming in leaving food and walking awayleaving them with lunch. They don't care where or who brings the food, it just easy lunch. They don't get far from the bait. The longer you bait them the lazier they become and will walk in as soon as the hear you leave or think you left.
I always make noise when baiting, even talking to myself. That way when I place a guy in a stand the bears are used to hearing my voice or a voice.
The day you go into the stand to hunt have someone walk in with you, replenish the bait and walk out.
I or my buddies always used those plastic buckets and made no effort to reduce noise. After you place the bait, bang on the bucket a few times then walk away knocking the bucket around.
Bear get trained like this as easy as dogs or better.
If a guide is setting up a bait for you he will have already done this type of thing and will give you a good idea of when and where the bear will come from.

Either way good luck.

Now if you are not hunting over a bait, disregard the above info
Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 PM

A bear's nose is pretty good so try to be scent free first. But if you feel that you have to use a cover scent, I've heart a lot of good stuff about skunk scent as a cover. I've never had the guts to give it a try but it sure seems like it will work.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 PM

This is the thing about skunk, when dose a skunk spray when it is distressed. Also i cant remember the last time i saw a skunk in the woods, most of the my garbage. I guess if ya hunt close to town it may work.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:47 PM

Most of the skunks I see are flat on the side of the road.
Like I said, I've never tried it myself but it sounds like a pretty effective cover scent to me. You have to admit that nothing can overpower you like a good dose of skunk perfume.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

When a leaf falls in the woods a eagle sees it, a deer hears it and a bear smells it. Thats free advice that was given to me.

I baited myself lol that sounds sick, anyway and I wore everything in baiting that I was going to wear hunting. Bugspray, and my hunting clothes etc. The bear become tolerant of it if they are use to it. I also instead of spraying me I sprayed behind and to the side of the trail everytime I walked in on with Vanilla diluted in water and a little liquid smoke in there too. I used a small spray bottle and coated everything. I saw several bear every year so I believe it worked. If you are going with a guide it may be a bit tougher. He should be able to tell you what he uses or what he suggests. Good luck!

Quick Reply: cover scents for bears

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.