Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cover scents for bears

Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cover scents for bears

I totally agree with Gus and logs....they like me have hunted bears for years and know the bear's nose is No. 1 in the woods. So, you have to play the wind and be scent free which means no commercial cover scents. If you want to use a cover scent use something from the area you are hunting.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used liquid smoke, not on myself of course. I used it in my bait setups. I hunted from a ground blind with a bow. I would pour the liquid smoke on rags and hang them just downwind from me. This helped mask the scent, without me becoming a late afternoon snack. I feel that it may have worked because I took my bear this year at 15 yards, and it had no clue that I was there. It did however go to the tree that had the bottle stuck in it and went to town sniffing the air. Instead of messing with being totally scent free, I tried to drown out my smell with an attractant placed between me and anything down wind. Don't get any on your hands though. It takes a few days to get the smell out.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:25 PM

Haven't hunted them yet but I am going to. I have heard that you can smell a bear just like you can a elk when you are close so you stinking is not going to help you or the bear. Scent free might be the way to go, well that is my strategy.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: adams

Great advise burnie. I was thinking of smearing yourself in honey
I like it , attractant and cover scent all in one . As an added bonus you don't have to worry about the bear moving out of range ...