Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Brand new to Bowhunting

Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Brand new to Bowhunting

Hello all, I am a very new person looking to get a bow and gear for hunting. I really have no idea where to start except here and read and ask a few questions. As far as a bow, I know there are lots of specs such as speed, length, sound, vibration, etc and lot of wierd words like whicker biscuit or basket and other gear, that I'm not sure what i would need to attach to this bow, so I was wondering what is important when selecting a bow and what brands. The last bow I shot was a Bear recurve bow which was 25 years ago. I've been reading about Hoyt, Matthews, PCE?. I have saved about $700 for my bow setup, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Brand new to Bowhunting

I am also fairly new at archery. Less than a year. There are many knowledgeable people on this web that can help. Some of the things I have learned are. Go to a Pro Shop and have someone who is knowledgeable help you get set up with a bow. I don't think I would buy a really expensive bow until I was sure that I really enjoyed archery. The Pro Shop can help with everything bow, sight, rest, release, arrows, draw length from top to bottom. Try to hook up with someone who is already into archery, they can help avoid a lot of pitfalls when just beginning. DO NOT be afraid to ask any question at all. The people on here will be more than glad to help.

Bones
Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 AM

Bones has been here long enough to know we'll send you to a pro shop. It's important to get measured and to get a bow that fits properly. If the bow dosen't fit correctly you'll develope bad form and habits that can take years to correct.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Hey scubagtr welcome to the board! If I were you I would go to a bow shop and try some different bows out today they are all fairly good bows. I shoot a hoyt I have for a long time. I did however consider a new matthews switchback this year. Hoyt made Rambos bow! any who I myself feel better with the hoyt and dead nuts pro sight. There are many good rest now a days I would go with a dropaway I love mine take a look at muzzy theiir drop-a-way is very good for bow hunting. I would stay away from the wisker biscuit, they will tare off your fetching. Also I believe that the best arrows for hunting right now are Easton Axis arrows. Go ask your bow shop about those That I made bold.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM

Great, thanks guys. we have a new Cabela's opening just north of town this month and i think I read they have an archery tryout center. sounds like I really need to get measured, becasue i have no idea on my lentgh of pull or length of bow I need. I saw Hoyt grizzly kit with everythin in it for arounf $525 or so, but i will certainly keep doing my research and get to a shop.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the board

My best suggestion would be go to a bow shop/achery and talk with the guys there. You can take the advice he gives and run it by us or other sights to see if the dealer is being legit or simply tring to sale you something you do not need.

To start, Id pick out a decient bow. Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, Darton, Martin, High country, Reflex, Bear/eagle, etc. etc.. You will need to know your draw length (a dealer will help you with that). Get a good reliable rest, this is probably one of the harder things to pick because there are so many different types, working on different principles (flipper, shot through, shot around, drop away, and the old Whisker biscuit). Get some good arrows that will work for your bow (carbon or aluminum, a dealer will help you on this, this is also personal preferance). You can shoot with finger, or release, which ever you choose get the device needed like a tab/glove, or a release (the releases are like rests, many and all work good. Just what you like). After that, start shooting. Might even invest in a target if you do not go to a range. If you have an archery near by, it would help to have someone to help coach you in the basics. Or get a friend who knows the basics. It would be best to have experienced people watching you shot and to put your bow together for you and tune it. Then the learning will begin. I will tell you, what ever you start with will probably change many times as you learn more and the newer gadgits come out. Good luck and feel free to ask all the questions you like.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:18 PM

Thanks all. I also found this website that I am reading which seems to explain a lot of the basics.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: scubagtr

Thanks all. I also found this website that I am reading which seems to explain a lot of the basics.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
Thats a good sight, you can also down load a free manual from Hoyt. It is real good. Its at www.hoytusa.com The easton sight also has a manual you can download for free that is very good as well. Id suggest giving them a look as well. They hit all the same topics, but it will give you different points of view.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the record... none of the Cabelas I've been to are pro shops. Look for a mom and pop archery shop and they will take the time to help you and explain everything.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Will do. I'll see what's around town besides the Oshmans or Academy's.

Quick Reply: Brand new to Bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.