Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring deer patterns

Old 05-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Spring deer patterns

Are spring deer patterns similat to those of early fall, like beginning of bow season which here starts Sept. 15? I've been seeing lots of deer when roosting turkeys a night and wondered if they will still use the same food source (large field) and trails that they are using now.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Spring deer patterns

I have found exactly the opposite to be true in one location and in another found it to be true. I think the lay of the land will be the biggest factor though. Most of the land I hunt is hardwoods and once the leaves drop the deer travel patterns change. I found this out the hard way on one of my properties last fall. I was still seeing deer but not like I had been all summer. This time of year they are right back to their old patterns again.

If the woods are unchanged and the food is unchanged it's quite likely that you'll catch them in the same patterns.

What type of cover are you seeing the deer in?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Coming from hardwoods into a field at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. The leaves will still be on the trees for the first part of our archery season. I guess only time will tell.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:54 PM

It sounds like a good concealed location (as I see it in my mind). A lot of my spots are influenced but outside pressures. Hikers, neighbors dogs ect, ect pressure the deer in my area and as a result when the leaves drop the deer find thicker cover.

I'm curious to see what others have experienced in diffrent parts of the country. What I see with the herd around my parts may be completely diffrent from deer 20 miles away. An example is one of my hunting locations I get snorted at every time I get busted or jump a deer. I can think of another spot that I hunt a half hour away that I've been busted 30-40 times over the years and have yet to get snorted at. At this location when I jump them they just run.

This is what I enjoy about whitetail. No two deer are the same and I'm forever learning more about them. It's definately a life long quest that I'll never get sick of.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would expect it to be the same as long as they are not pressured and the food source remains in the same area up untill the rut.