Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target panic

Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: target panic

I had a bad case of it about a year ago and tried all of the remedies, empty bailing, closing my eyes, taking a break from shooting, the Answer release, everything. The one thing that fixed it for me was buying a Vibracheck Safe Draw. It's like a shock absorber that you put on your bow so you can shoot safely without having an arrow. With this I would force myself to hold steady and directly on the target and use a smooth release. After a while of not worrying where the arrow was going (because there was none) and focusing on aiming I developed better shooting habits and relearned the muscle memory. Now I'm dropping arrows into 2" circles at 50 yards. It's not a cheap product but it worked for me and I'd recommend it to anyone that has a serious case of target panic.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some pretty good advice by most. I would only add that once it sets in you NEVER get over it. All you can hope to do is learn to shoot form again and not groups or score. During any type of tournament (3D, field, etc) never think about your score. You don't have a score till the last arrow is shot, so just concentrate on shooting each arrow---one at a time.

As I said, you never get rid of it. You only can learn to control it.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats target panic?
It's when your intended target "panics" right before you shoot and moves enough to make it appear your shot was way off.[:@]
Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

It could be for some people that they are handling to much bow, in which i mean there is to much of a draw wieght (strain) where they can't hold target. Start off with a very low minimum then progress upwards.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard of buck fever but target panic? Is this like in tournament conditions? I could see some one getting nervous at a tournament with on lookers and such. But if your freaking out in general target practice that would seem odd. Can some one elaborate.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

I pretty much go through the same steps that Fieldmouse touched on in his post on the first page. Just remember to stick to the basics and stay under control!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:20 PM

It seems that I fight a form of target panic off and on.My case is everything is ok except for a flinch at release. When this goes on I tend to spray arrows over a 6 inch circle at 20 yards and a larger miss at distance.

What I have to do to get the flinch to go away is concentrate on my aiming and get any Conscious thought about how or when the release will go off out of my mind. I have to get that release in the auto mode and when I do it is a thing of beauty. Well except for the broken arrows.

So try to train your brain to think about aiming and holding as steady as you can. I find it's ok to let the pin float as it is impossible for me to hold completely steady anyway. Don't let a conscious thought about that release into your brain in any way shape or form. Do that and you'll be breaking arrows with the best of them. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

mind over matter............. all the gadgets and tricks in the world can help as a band aid treatment, but ultimately you have to be mentally strong. My advice is quite simple but if you listen close is most helpful: DON'T DO IT
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no easy way to overcome target panic. Start working and concentrating on your form shooting into your stop with no target. Draw straight back, anchor, align sight on target and relax your bow hand, (NO GRIPPING THE BOW) and release holding the bow in position until arrow impacts the target. I have helped many shooters recover from this problem. In most instances, this break down started with dropping their arm at the time of release or collapsing. When your form is in order start shooting targets with a large center. When you feel confident at this stage with no form breaks, start shooting at small stickers on the target and move to longer ranges. Your greatest enemy is the grey matter between your ears. This is where target panic originates and you will need proper form and concentration to pass through this stage of the archery sport.
Good Hunting...
Old 05-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of great advice. I guess? Problem is, there are so many different forms of target panic and we don't even know which variety of the affliction SoILGirl is suffering from. The only answers I've seen so far that are applicable to all forms of TP is, it's entirely mental. It's a subconscious fear of missing. And it can drive you totally mental if you let it.

"Buy this. Buy that." Bah![:'(] Overly expensive bandaids. The only thing I can buy that I know will help all forms of target panic is a couple of cold beers. Takes the edge off the nervous tension. But they don't let anyone drink a beer on the range anymore, so my old remedy has been outlawed.[&o]

So, what are we talking about here, M'Lady? The kind where your finger punches the trigger before you're ready? The kind where you punch the trigger as your pin swings by the spot? The kind where you freeze up and can't get the pin into the spot? Or the kind where you can get on target and hold forever, but can't trigger the release? Or is it something else? Describe the problem for us.

Quick Reply: target panic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.