Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I move my stand?

Old 09-17-2002, 09:27 AM

Default Should I move my stand?

I need a little help deciding if I should move my stand tonight.

I have been sneaking to the edge of a swamp from the trees and I set up my stand there. I set it up near some tracks on a trail leading into the swamp.

During my scouting I saw many more tracks, trails and two actual deer farther in. Problem is there is no EASY way to get further in without making some noise so I had set up on the edge.

I sat out there yesterday for opening day but I didn't see or hear much.

I'm now thinking that I have to move into the swamp more since the deer don't seem to be coming this far out during legal shooting hours.

So I can:

A) Hunt my stand a few more times to make sure it just wasn't a bad day.

B) Go in tonight at 5:15 and move my stand futher in

C) Move my stand further in but wait until Sat morning
Old 09-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: Should I move my stand?

I vote for "A"....give it a chance!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:39 AM

If it was me I would not give up on a stand location after one try unless something major had happened. At the same time you know the area much better than me. If you do move your stand and use scent precautions you should be able to hunt out of it the night you move it. I think you have to go with your gut on this one. Just remember that with bow hunting especially patience pays off.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:52 AM

I don't think you would be a normal bowhunter if you didnt 2nd guess yourself on your stand location, I think you put it there for a reason in the first place give it a chance. Another thing you want to look at is, will this place possibly get better later in the season? I think by doing to much in the swamp you might educate to many deer of your presence so be careful when causing a comotion in your woods.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:57 AM

I try to give a stand 3-4 days with a total of 14-16 hours before I consider moving. You mounted there for a reason stick with it then move to new location.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:11 PM

In a perfect world you would already have a stand further in, and others up diff. areas.

I would hunt it again.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going against everyone else and saying go ahead and move it in. You are going to spend hours on the present site wondering what if. You might as well move it now and see how your inside spot is. You can always move the stand back, and moving stand locations is a good idea. It would be nice, if you have more than one stand, to set up several different sites. Go with your gut, confidence in your stands is as important as the confidence in your skills and the equipment you use. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:40 PM

Try moving a little further in searching for the quitest route possible. Besides, its not a good idea to overhunt one stand site.

Hunt the thickets
Old 09-17-2002, 05:24 PM

I guess it all depends on how much time I'm gonna get out. If my schedule allows me to put considerable time in that part of the woods. I'd give it another couple of chances. Second guessing is all part of the game. Trust your instincts. Perhaps you could pattern these deer from afar, then move in for the ambush point.

Be gratefull you're seeing deer. Don't rush it.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:03 PM

Well,
I spent a few more hours out at the stand today. Before I got up in the stand I looked for the tracks that had convinced me to put the stand up in the first place. There were some pretty nice tracks that looked good sized. I think they are fairly new since we had some hard rains yesterday morning.

Problem is that I didn't hear or see much again today. I think there is something to that spot but I fear they are only coming that far out under the cover of darkness. Maybe it is a better morning spot?

The swamp is much better cover then the woods I'm on the edge of. There are some tasty acorns but little cover. If I were a deer I'd probably try to go in at night for some protection.

Quick Reply: Should I move my stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.