Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how "ethical" is this ?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how "ethical" is this ?

not something I'd think of doing or be proud of doing to obtain a deer. That's just me, do what you want.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

don't like the sound of it. I'll move a stick or two to help the deer by me, but I am not going to go to the effort of building a fence. to me that is a bit too much work. food plots, go for it. I use all that sort of thing as a supplemental source only and don't hunt over it.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Along the line between my property and the next (we all have 5 acres) I bet theres 15-20 scrapes from last year - very nice rub/scrape line
You got real good chance that this buck(assuming he made it through the year)will be using this same scrape line again.Deer tend to use the same line each year if they are not bothered.Does the next door neighbour hunt?If not then you are in luck.
I would go ahead and plant the food plot,but would skip the fence idea.Maybe a small fence to keep the stray dogs off.This would allow the deer to enter where ever they want .Then you would just do your homework and see where the deer are entering and exiting.It shouldent be to hard to do this on 5 acres of land,especially with an area tore up like you said along with a food plot.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I know where you are going with this, seems like a Stealthycat is no more due to this topic. Ill let you play, its fun to watch the fire works. Ill only contribute this, The set up you propose will limit you greatly. Not only will you funnell a few in, but block out a bunch more.

Yall have fun. Ill come back when the smoke starts rising.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM

The food plots are one thing, but the mineral licks and feeders are illegal in some states, including mine. (Maine)

How are the laws in your state?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't put up the fence but would hunt it. As long as you just have 5 acres It shouldn't be hard to get one crossing to your property even without the funnel. It is up to you in the end though.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all, fair chase can be and is defined. Ethics are subjective and will vary from one person to the next.

As far as drawing deer to your property, that is fine within the constraints of your state laws. I disagree with putting up a fence for several reasons. First, it's not very neighborly and if I were your neighbor and hunted I'd be severely ticked at you. Remember, you'll be living next to this guy for a long time and bad relations with a neighbor can make for an unhappy home. Second, it's not a natural obstruction. On some of the properties I hunt we will make brush piles and natural obstacles with downed trees and brush to guide deer one way or another, but a fence isn't natural. Third, any local anti-hunting groups would make an issue of it. It may be legal, but they would turn it into a nightmare for you. So, do what you can to naturally attract the deer to your property and enjoy hunting it while keeping on your neighbor's good side.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Is it even legal to hunt on such a small patch of land. . . .I can see it now. . you having to chase/find your downed Deer on other folks land. That is a tough sell to enter others land in the state of Texas. Good luck to you.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM

Good thing your not my neighbor!!!...Bob
Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt we will make brush piles and natural obstacles with downed trees and brush to guide deer one way or another
If you make them then they aren't natural either. Either way you manipulating the deer's movement. The type of material is really irrelevant IMO.

Quick Reply: how "ethical" is this ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.