Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horrible News coverage

Old 04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Horrible News coverage

From the NWTF

The Bow and Arrow Shot—Bowhunting for turkeys is a different game altogether, just ask Scott Vance, NWTF wildlife biologist.

Vance has been bowhunting for deer nearly all his life, however, his resume also includes more than 10 years experience bowhunting for turkeys.

“For bowhunters who want the ultimate challenge, turkey hunting will test your nerves, accuracy and patience,” said Vance. “Making the right shot on a turkey with a bow is much different than shooting one with a gun.”

A turkey’s heart and lungs, combined, are not much larger than the size of an orange. Hunters who use a shotgun should aim at a turkey’s head and neck for a clean kill, but for the bowhunter, the kill zone is much different, posing a repertoire of three main shots:

A straight-on shot through the chest of a turkey can be a high percentage shot. However, aiming for this spot does risk the chance of severing the beard from the turkey’s chest.

If the turkey is broadside, aim for the base of the turkey’s wing. This shot will pin the turkey’s wing to its body, making it nearly impossible to fly away. A shot in this area will also penetrate the vitals area for a quick and clean kill.

A turkey in full strut and facing directly away from a bowhunter still offers a presentable shot. An arrow placed up the backside of a turkey will either severe the spine or pass through the mid-section of the turkey’s body. With this shot, the broadhead is sure to slice through main organs, quickly making the bird immobile.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 AM

Thank you for correcting me, I was not aware that this was a lethal shot on a turkey. As it probably happened, he just missed his spot by a few inches and did not catch the vitals. However the american public doesn't care where it was shot...all they see is coverage of a turkey running around with a arrow sticking out of it and it's unfortunate for all hunters.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: datamax

I wish they'd show all the crippled deer from autombiles.

My point ? Things happen sometimes.

I agree. What pisses me off is the news networks have nothing better to publish a story about then a wounded turkey. I wish the media would pull their heads from their posteriors and investigate crack use among highschool students or homeless problems in our inner cities.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like most of the animals that are seen by the general public, running around with arrows sticking in them, those arrows are invariably equipped with field points. They were not shot by bowhunters, but by idiots. Maybe even by animal rights wackos who are trying to give bowhunters a black eye. Anyone ever consider that possibility?

I wish the media would pull their heads from their posteriors and investigate crack use among highschool students or homeless problems in our inner cities.
That ain't no lie! Problem is, stories like that aren't as controversial as showing that "poor animal with the arrow sticking in him" stuff. I took a journalism course a few years ago at a local university. First day, the professor asked the question, what is the purpose of a journalist? I'd been a newspaper reporter some 30 years before, and I responded that it was to convey accurate, fair and unbiased information. That's how it was THEN. Not any more!

She said I was wrong. She said it is a reporter's job to generate controversy and interest, bringing in more readers, viewers and listeners, so the newspaper, magazine, TV or radio station can charge more for advertising.

If you're looking for fair, unbiased news - anywhere - you're not gonna get it.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
If you're looking for fair, unbiased news - anywhere - you're not gonna get it.
I have to disagree Art. Public raido is the exception.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:37 PM

However the american public doesn't care where it was shot...all they see is coverage of a turkey running around with a arrow sticking out of it and it's unfortunate for all hunters.
Wounded turkey, dead turkey ........... Hunters are not popular regardless, you cannot make the non-hunting public understand why we do what we do. Media coverages exploit that for sure, but get use to it, you know ?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:44 PM

I saw a picture of that Turkey yesterday and it is very clear that the arrow has a field point on it (not a broadhead) and the bird is a hen. Likely just some idiot screwing around in his back yard or something. Very likely not a hunter at all.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Anyone considered an anti-hunter staging it ?

Even slob hunters use broadheads on game
Old 04-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

That guy got busted. He has other violations as well when fish and game came a knocking. He probably was just an oportunist.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a 1 link to the story I found.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7562947

Quick Reply: Horrible News coverage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.