Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum Sights

Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Pendulum Sights

Looking for information about pendulum sights. If anybody has any experiance with them i'd appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pendulum Sights

I'm using one for the first time this year. So far I like it. What do you want to know about them?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:15 PM

I love mine and I have used it for about 7 years now. I have taken my fair share of deer with it.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using pendulum sights for many years. I have use the Keller, Impact treetop and impact bravo sight and by far I like the Bravo the best very bright pin you can pick one up on ebay cheap I gave $25+shipping. That guy was flooding ebay with them when I got mine.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a big fan of pendulums. I have been using them for over 10 years. Currently I use a savage pendulum. Its very quiet and accurate.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

A pendulum would've got me a big buck this year.

25 foot treestand shot - he stood 5 yards from the base of the tree.

I just cut the hair out. Shot low.

I won't make the same mistake twice, and will have a pendulum sight installed before September, 2005.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm looking for how they work, the basic premise behind them.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

A pendulum would've got me a big buck this year.

25 foot treestand shot - he stood 5 yards from the base of the tree.
From my experience I don’t agree with that. I used a pendulum for 2 seasons and I even practiced out of my tree stand with one. 20-25 feet up I was dead on from 10-20 yards with the pendulum slighted in at 15 yards on the ground. Anything closer and I had to aim low. At 5 yards I had to aim about 8-10 inches lower than my impact point.

They do work ok but I switched to a trophy ridge and like it just as well. I could really not tell that much difference than the pendulum when deer were 10 yards or closer when I was elevated. With my fixed sights I am only 2 inches high at 15 yards elevated to 25 feet.

Main thing is that you practice out of your stand elevated so you know your impact point.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PA Stick Tosser

I'm looking for how they work, the basic premise behind them.
Here is a quote from an article on sights that Bob Robb wrote for Bowhunting.net.

Pendulum Sights
Designed expressly for the tree stand hunter, pendulum sights feature a single horizontal cross wire or pin that is permitted to freely pivot on a hinge so it rises as you take aim closer to the base of your tree and drops as you aim farther away.

Together with a fixed vertical stadia wire, the two give a precise aiming point out to 30 to 35 yards, the exact distance being directly proportional to arrow speed. Beyond that distance the system breaks down. Some pendulum sights attack this problem by adding a couple of fixed horizontal pins or stadia wires to give the shooter an aiming point at longer distances.

The better pendulum sights will allow you to adjust the length of the pivoting arm thereby fine-tuning the sight for your own individual arrow speed. However, sights without this feature give acceptable accuracy at the distances at which they are designed to be used. One disadvantage of some pendulum sights is that they tend to be a bit noisy and their moving parts can break or stick. There are several good pendulum sights on the market, including those by ABC Pivitol, Predator Products, Keller, Saunders, and Advanced Archery Products.