Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are your ethics?

Old 04-16-2005, 07:47 PM

Default RE: What are your ethics?

Zak - in the fall, its likely that the majority of fawns will be spotless and I don't know what the % is, but a lot of fawns (6 months old deer) breed.

I don't think of them as babies. No one thought you were talking about humans, but to refer to the deer you kill as Mommy, Daddy and Baby is a little Peta-like.

Anyway, because the "fawn" is, in Nov or Dec quite able to live alone, by themselves, and breed, I have no qualms about shooting one. It if was a late fawn, still having spots in Nov/Dec - I'd likely not shoot it either and agree with passing them. If its spotless and I need to fill a tag I'll sure enough kill it and have some excellent venison
Old 04-16-2005, 07:51 PM

I meant I will not shoot a spotted fawn. Would a fawn without spots be called a deer?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:12 PM

I guess a fawn too Zak, not until after they turn a year do I think they're called yearlings.

What do you think about eating veal and lamb ?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM

I do not think much about it. Where else would the calf go? That is comparing apples to fences. I will eat a doe killed in front of a fawn, but I will not kill it.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rather than picking apart anyone elses ethics , and making a list of , will , and will nots , I'll give my short version.

To me , ethics are what you do when nobody is watching , so I try and remember that someone (^) is always watching.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 AM

I will eat a doe killed in front of a fawn, but I will not kill it.
hmmmmmmmmm

why ?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:54 AM

It's not something I can explain datamax. I just do not feel right doing that.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:09 AM

Speaking of ethics, I'll throw out another thing I find strange....

Have you ever noticed that some guys ethics change when the deer in the sights is a big buck? Folks who will adamantly declare that they won't shoot past 30 yds, or take a quartering toward shot, or shoot through brush throw all that out the window when a big boy comes in. Heck, they may even say it in the same sentence, like " I'd never take a quartering toward shot, unless it was a trophy."

Ironic, no?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will not shoot a mother with a fawn. I do not know why I don't do this.
(please don't take this the wrong way)Could it be that you formed your opinion out of ignorance?

I do two man deer drives on hot days during bow season to my son. That's unethical??
Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do two man deer drives on hot days during bow season to my son. That's unethical??
To some , I'm sure it is. Ethics are your own personal choice.

Quick Reply: What are your ethics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.