Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are your ethics?

Old 04-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What are your ethics?

I think this should be a fun topic. I do not want to see any bashing though.

What are your ethics and why?

1. I will not shoot a mother with a baby- I do not enjoy the kill and I do not want to see a baby run off alone.

I wouldn't do this either

2. I will not shoot a turkey out of a tree- There is no challenge to me.

I would

3. I will not use bait or scents while hunting- I don't believe in baiting animals or attracting them with the use of scents.

I would

4. I will not shoot animals while they have babies- My dad owns several hundred acres. I can hunt coyote 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I will not hunt them during their breeding season.

Considering 'yotes and hogs are nusiancee out here, I would. I wouldn't with deer though.

5. I will try to make a clean shot on every animal- If I saw a coyote running across the field chasing a rabbit, and I know I can't make a clean shot, I would let the coyote go.

I wouldn't take a shot if i felt that i wouldn't get a good hit on it. True i have taken shots where i wound the animal only to have it die a short time later but I learned from that is to wait until i can get a clear good shot

6. I will not prop the deer's head up in my truck- I do not believe that it is right to show off a kill.

I never gotten a deer yet so this doesn't apply for me. I've seen other people do it.

7. I will not do a deer drive- I do not feel that this is hunting.

Never tried it so don't really have an opnion on it
Old 04-16-2005, 04:43 PM

I still don't like using the word "babies" when talking about deer. They're fawns - using "babies" mistakeningly makes them much more "human" - not a good path of words to use IMO
Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zak
Have you ever killed a deer? I seem to remember you being fairly new to hunting, but don't remember if you got one yet. If you have congrats, I must have missed it.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: datamax

I still don't like using the word "babies" when talking about deer. They're fawns - using "babies" mistakeningly makes them much more "human" - not a good path of words to use IMO
I wasn't talking just about deer. I do not shoot the babies of any species. What other word would I have used?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:38 PM

Humans have babies - deer do not, nor do any species of animals that we hunt. It humanizes them, makes them on par with killing your own child, using words like that. Don't be mistaken, Bambi didn't talk, he wasn't a baby, he didn't have a Mommy and a Daddy.

One time I was at a captive animal park thing, and the woman was talking about the Daddy elk bedded up on the hill overlooking and watchfully protecting his babies. I laughed out loud - that bull elk would rather have horned those calves than to have been bothered with them - not unlike male bears and lions eating cubs (even their own)

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...albabies.shtml

deer have fawns, elk/moose/caribou have calf's, bison have calves, felines have kittens/cubs, canines have kits/pups/whelps

Only Humans and Apes have offspring called baby / babies (I assume much of that is because the great apes are hominid.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:56 PM

There, I changed it. Man, I couldn't imagine how many people thought I was talking about humans? Sheesh, I almost pooped my pants, or do we deficate?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zak123

I think this should be a fun topic. I do not want to see any bashing though.

What are your ethics and why?

1. I will not shoot a mother with a baby- I do not enjoy the kill and I do not want to see a baby run off alone.

2. I will not shoot a turkey out of a tree- There is no challenge to me.

3. I will not use bait or scents while hunting- I don't believe in baiting animals or attracting them with the use of scents.

4. I will not shoot animals while they have babies- My dad owns several hundred acres. I can hunt coyote 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I will not hunt them during their breeding season.

5. I will try to make a clean shot on every animal- If I saw a coyote running across the field chasing a rabbit, and I know I can't make a clean shot, I would let the coyote go.

6. I will not prop the deer's head up in my truck- I do not believe that it is right to show off a kill.

7. I will not do a deer drive- I do not feel that this is hunting.

Please post your ethics, and remember, no fighting.
1. Have and will repeat. Curiousity here, how long have you been hunting Z?
2. Negative... ruins the fun factor along with the challenge of calling 'em in.
3. Refer to reply #1 above... question included.
4. I would not harvest anything that had young so small that survival on their own was not possible.
5. Agree, but I could make that shot.
6. If an animal or rack was visible by sheer size, I certainly wouldn't try to hide it. I care not if others disagree with my love of hunting. Since I would never display any animal distastefully, what the anti's think is of no value to me.
7. A coordinated "silent drive" is in deed hunting. Have when times are tough and will repeat.

I must add a kudo for datamax... the subtle spoon found on most topics worth discussing.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Jollyarcher

1. Have and will repeat. Curiousity here, how long have you been hunting Z?

I hunted one day two seasons ago, and I hunted all of last season. I could have shot down a nice doe last season, but it had a fawn with it. Actually, now that I think about it, it may have been another doe. I didn't see spots on it, but at the time I was so excited I just assumed it was a fawn so I didn't even attempt to draw back.

3. Refer to reply #1 above... question included.
I do not bait or use scents because I just do not like doing that. I have nothing against those who do though. This is just how I am.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take a doe with a fawn if the oportunity arises, or take a fawn. Coulda took a turkey from my ground blind last year at 10 feet or so but I'v never seen one from a tree. If I had a tag I'd take either one, from a tree or blind. I'll bait where its legal. I hunt CT, NY & NH. Its legal here in CT so I do it. Aint as easy as most people think after the first week or so, they aint dumb animals.
Basically if its legal it doesn't bother me ethically. Had a guy bugging me about shooting a small yearling last year, was giving me crap about how huntings about being one with nature not shooting fawns & such. I pointed out that that might be his feelings but in nature the youngest are the ones targeted by predators & pretty much deflated his argument.
Ethics are a personal thing & I respect others right to be more picky than me. That said, if I'v got a tag & the seasons open I'll shoot the deer I want. Big, small, fat, tall, I'll eat em all.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Leverdude

I'll take a doe with a fawn if the oportunity arises, or take a fawn. Coulda took a turkey from my ground blind last year at 10 feet or so but I'v never seen one from a tree. If I had a tag I'd take either one, from a tree or blind. I'll bait where its legal. I hunt CT, NY & NH. Its legal here in CT so I do it. Aint as easy as most people think after the first week or so, they aint dumb animals.
Basically if its legal it doesn't bother me ethically. Had a guy bugging me about shooting a small yearling last year, was giving me crap about how huntings about being one with nature not shooting fawns & such. I pointed out that that might be his feelings but in nature the youngest are the ones targeted by predators & pretty much deflated his argument.
Ethics are a personal thing & I respect others right to be more picky than me. That said, if I'v got a tag & the seasons open I'll shoot the deer I want. Big, small, fat, tall, I'll eat em all.
Hah, were opposite in every way! I like the last sentence.

Quick Reply: What are your ethics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.