Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are your ethics?

Old 04-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Default RE: What are your ethics?

Fair Chase

Taking good shots

Being proficient with the weapon

110% recovery effort
Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 AM

I am getting hung up on the distinction between legal and ethical.In my mind I am going round and round about it.
I will instead answer as many of the questions that I am able to remember.Yes I will shoot does with (yearlings)We would be doing all of us a favor by using the word yearling versus fawn or god help us babies.
A running shot at a coyote,everyday of the week.
A running shot at a deer,I never have unless I already had a bullet in it.Never with a bow.This philosophy for me has likely cost me some pretty good bucks.
If there was an animal (very good buck) where I only had his hindquarters but I knew I could place the shot,he would have a very sore heinie and I would do everything possible to dispatch him as quickly as I could(of course this is rifle only)
Baiting if it were legal I would for bear not for deer.
Scents and lures,I am a big proponent of the use of them.Of course also taking advantage of the naturally attractive foods that are native to my area.
While I personally don't like deer drives,from a safety and challenge perspective as long as I am not any where near it and it isn't in an area where I am on to a good buck,I'm kinda ok with it.(how's that for selfish!)
My greatest enjoyment in hunting is going one on one as far away from other hunters as possible.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

4. I will not shoot animals while they have babies- My dad owns several hundred acres. I can hunt coyote 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I will not hunt them during their breeding season
You must meanwhen they are giving birth to their young, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be hunting deer and or Spring Turkey.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

1.When I shoot Mom I alway's throw the baby a bottle a formula so it doesn't get sad. Unless I can whack the baby too.

2.Always use a silencer when poaching.

3. If I shoot a deer and don't bother to find it I tear up one of my brothers tags.

4.I wipe the blood of my windshield after tying a buck to the hood.

5.We only drive deer of cliffs under 100 feet so the meat doesn't bruise.

[8D][8D][8D]
Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

What do you mean you don't enjoy the kill?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

6. I alway's pick up the beer cans I throw down from my treestand.

7. When I fill my Pod with poison I always make sure that I do it away from the kids and our pets.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
Hunting isn't all peaches and lollipops. It's an activity that's not for the faint of heart and if you're so sad about shooting "Mommy" or "Baby" you might want to take up skeet shooting.
I do shoot skeet. I do this so I can practice safe kills on dove. I try to make my kill as humane as possible, and people like YOU are the ones who fuel the antis. I will not shoot a mother with a fawn. I do not know why I don't do this. I cannot expain my ethics.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I don't enjoy the kill because killing is not fun. The reward of killing a buck is great, but the killing part I do not like.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure they're not watching because if they're not watching then you can do it but make sure they're not watching first.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't enjoy the kill because killing is not fun. The reward of killing a buck is great, but the killing part I do not like.
I admire your honesty! That feeling of remorse over the taking of an animals life tells me we needn't worry about Zak being some sick twisted serial killer.

Quick Reply: What are your ethics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.