Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:40 AM

Default RE: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

silentassassin - When I drink lots of soda's, eat poorly, don't excercise ........... I feel tired and drained both mentally and physically. When I eat right, excercise, take care of myself, I'm much more awake and able mentally and physcially.

Don't discount the connection a healthy body has with a healthy mind. Where that comes into play deer hunting ? Deer hunting is a huge mental task as well as physical. Staying awake in the warm sun, staying alert when nothings moving, going out when the weather is tough, sitting the same scrape line after 8 days of nothing .............. don't discount the sharpness of the mind and the relation the physcial fitness of the body has with it.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

we'll all be yuppies with Jane Fonda tapes and HNI will cease to exist.
Now thats funny
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Mattiac,Congratulations to you! That is one heck of an accomplishment! There is no down side to being healthy! A lot of what Datamax said rings true for me.Mental clarity,greater Stamina,more enthusiasm all can make a huge difference between success and failure.Where my home is I do a lot of mountain hunting,where I hunt in the west I do a lot of mountain hunting.My motivation for being healthy is totally selfish,I want to bring as much as I can to my ability to go after game. Also at some point in time when I don't have to work as much or any more I want to be healthy.What would be worse than to have so much more time to hunt and not to be able to!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:23 PM

Hey thanks Tocs....

I couldnt stand the way I was when I was really overweight. I was lazy, and unhealthy. It sucked...I couldnt have cared less about anything.

It does effect your hunting ability too....I mean, sure there are guys like Ben Rogers Lee who weighed like 350 and could kill deer like it was a joke, but it makes it harder.

Hiking to those good spots is too much of a task. Climbing stands is harder if not impossible. Your mental attitude usually isnt as good either.

Like you guys said, physical health directly relates to mental health....a healthy body allows you to have a healthy mind. The better shape Im in, the better my attitude is towards everything...you become more motivated in all aspects of life.

Im sure not many people on here are as overweight as I was, SH*T I dropped over 110#....thats as much as some women weigh. HAHAHAHA....At work they used to joke and say I lost a twelve year old!

I got down too low though, 145 wasnt the right weight for me, I looked like an ethiopian. 165-180 is better for me, depending on how much I hit the weights.

That actually reminds me.....if you guys want to lose weight, work out with the weights too....it will help you put on muscle, which burns fat.

Smaller more useful muscles are better than giant ones, so keep the weight moderate to light and the reps higher. You will get more results for your workout efforts.

Also, you CAN NOT try to bulk up with giant muscles while you are trying to lose wieght.

If big muscles is what you want. Get down to about 10 pounds over your ideal weight, and then hit them hard. Heavy weights, low reps.....going to exhaustion. The diet needed for big muscles and losing weight are too different.

Big muscles require energy, which means you need more fuel. (food)....you cant lose weight when you're eating a ton.

Also dont get discouraged by the scale.....Sometimes muscle gains make the weight loss seem less. Muscles weigh more than fat.....so as you replace fat with muscle, you gain weight.

Maybe Im rambling on, but if anyone wants to know more, just let me know. I always like to help someone get in shape....I remember how much it sucked being fat, and dont want people to go through that....even if its not about hunting....you deserve to be as healthy as you can.

Have a good oen----Matt