Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone care about accuracy?

Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Does anyone care about accuracy?

When you hit what you are aiming at it doesn't matter how fast the arrow got there.Use what you are capable of shooting well!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think alot of todays bows shoot so much smoother and tighter that it helps to make the shooter more accurate.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 AM

I hit what I aim at, my arrow will just pass yours on the way there

What is all this garbage about how you can't have speed with accuracy

Every bow I buy is the most accurate in the line.
Me too..............99% of it is the loose screw behind the peep.................................
Exactly[8D]
Old 04-12-2005, 01:34 PM

yes this is truly rediculous, my hunting bow shoots in the low 270's wiht a fixed blade broadhead and my muzzys shoot no different than my field points out to 45 yrds, my bow is 33 inches axle to axle and it is a HAMMER, i think the old school guys need to try a new short bow and see with the technolegy advancements they feel as good if not better than the 40 inchers of old!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:00 PM

Yes,
That's why I followed through with the Patent process of my idea! The Center Shot Peep Sight.
http://fopsight.com

Consistency is a must for accuracy. Particularly in a tree bow hunting. No peep about it!

Dave S.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think the old school guys need to try a new short bow and see with the technolegy advancements they feel as good if not better than the 40 inchers of old!
I consider myself an "old school guy" , so I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents on this subject.

I feel ewolf is correct is some ways. Can archers be accurate with short ata bows shooting light arrows at fast speeds? Absolutely!!! I shot all the old bows with the deflex risers and 43" ata. I also tried most of the new ones , including short ata and reflex risers shooting light carbon arrows.
Can I shoot as good now with my current rig as I did 20 years ago? Yes! But it takes alot more practice , for me anyway. One of the biggest things I've noticed with the reflex risers is I'm not as rock solid steady as I used to be with the ol' 40" ata deflex risers. I used to be able to put my pin on a dime size spot and just burn that spot (<dont know how else to describe it) with absolute steadiness for a good five seconds , and that was with 50% letoff. Is it just me? Could be. But it seems odd that I can still do it when I pick up one of the old bows.
So for any of you young fellas that feel us "old school guys" need to catch up with the times. Maybe some of you new school guys should try some honest testing for yourself to see if there's any difference in the old gear vs the new gear other than speed.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Four years ago, I took out my old '89 model Hoyt ProVantage, with it's heavily deflexed riser, 48" axle to axle, round wheels and 10" brace height, shooting 2315's around 220 fps, fingers and barebow to a local 3D club shoot. They had all compounds lumped into the same class, so I had to shoot against the bowhunter and open class guys. At the end of the day, I'd won the tournament. I've won more tournaments with that bow, in a bunch of different classes, field archery and 3D, than with any other bow I've ever owned.

Old school? Yes, I am, and always ready to teach new age shooters a few lessons. I had more than a couple of Mathews shooters grinding their teeth that day.

What tickles me about this idea that today's bows are so good is the fact that since 1990, the longest shot distance in IBO has dwindled from 'about 60 yards' - which usually meant closer to 70 - to 50 yards. Just a couple of years ago, the pins/release class raised enough of a stink to get their maximum distance shortened even more! But average scores haven't improved one iota. Why are people so desperate to shoot closer distances? If these new bows, and the guys who shoot 'em, are so much better than us 'old schoolers' and our old fashioned equipment, seems to me they'd be wanting to stretch things out more and shoot further. We used to call it 'seperating the men from the boys.'

By the way, we generally shot 50 targets, didn't have binoculars, umbrellas or stools and we didn't take 8 hours to shoot those 50 targets either. Now some guys can't get through a 30 target course in 8 hours.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:29 AM

It is a shame that these threads are allowed to continue. I wish the Administrators would lock out these threads too. I am sick of the slow bow GODS bashing fast bows. I never bash other peoples bows or set ups. The fact of the matter is that it is not fast or slow that is what makes a bow accurate. IT IS THE SHOOTER! PERIOD. I thought that this was a forum to help promote unity in bow hunting and hunting in general. Until the "I hate fast bows" crowd stops the bashing this forum will never be anything but a joke.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is not bashing. It's called educating. I'm an old school guy, and I try to pass on a lot of the info I've gained over the decades. I also learn something from the younger guys. It's a two way street. If you can't handle it then just don't tune in.

Let's say I'm not totally old school. One has to be flexible. I've shot bows that were 50" long from the 70's on up. 20% letoff to 88% letoff. I now own two Martin bows that are less than a year old. I'm a speed freak. One bow is 38" long and it's a screamer, with 6.5" brace and highly reflexed riser. I also have a new ShadowCat that is 32 1/4" long with a 9 3/8" riser and virually no reflex. I shoot them both equally well, considering my abilities these days. Which one is more consistently accurate? The longer one by all means.

There is a lot to consider when talking about accuracy. Definition alone is different for different folks. Some guys think pie-plates at 30 yards are good enough. Then there are those of us who like to have 2" groups at 40 yards and will accept nothing less. Then there are bows capable of this and there are some that are not (in the hands of an archer). Length is only part of it though. Riser geometry and brace ehgith play an important part, too. It's no secret that longer ATA, deflexed risers, and higher brace height makes for a more accurate bow. How many pro's do you see shooting 32" bows?

And target and 3D is different from hunting. We don't necessarily need pinpoint accuracy to shoot anything within 30 yards. But a person should be able to shoot no greater than 4" groups at that 30 yards (IMO) or do something different, whether it's practicing more or getting more forgiving equipment. And frankly, 4" groups at 30 yards isn't all that good. Where I think some fall short is in accepting such grouping as "good enough for hunting". Personally I'll never be satisfied till I can robinhood every arrow I shoot, so I guess I'll never be satisfied. But striving to get better is what life is about.

Did I get off track a bit? Sorry
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM

IMO, speed has little to do with accuracy. In fact, if one does not use a rangefinder or is bad at estimating yardage, I would venture to say it could actually help accuracy. It has much more to do with practice. I would bet Micheal Braden (or any other pro for that matter) could take the fastest, most unforgiving bow on the market and shoot circles around ewolf with the bow of his choice. Why? Because he practices several hours every day.

Quick Reply: Does anyone care about accuracy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.