Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone care about accuracy?

Old 04-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone care about accuracy?

Well i don't think i'll ever make it to champon archery team anytime soon but as long as i hit within half an inch of where i aim, i'm happy with that (plus i try not to shoot further then the range is best for me, which is 30 yards)
Old 04-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't say. I think you need to come up with a newer easton guide. This is 2005 not 1998. A great deal has changed in archery since then. I think your kind of off base asking this question here, Seems to me a lot of people here are concerned with accuracy based on the question that are asked. A well placed shot does not require a heavy arrow. I also hunt with a 12 ga. and a 50 cal. but a well placed 22 will drop a deer. I like things to be as simple as they can be, for me. 1 pin out to 30 yards. is what I shoot for an I build an arrow to do just that, with in reason. I know I don't have to shoot a 450 arrow to get the job done and then some so I don't.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely ! we care about accuracy ,but you must realize that it doesn't matter what bow your shooting accuracy is one of the most important part of bowhunting ,but accuracy depend's on you whether you shoot enough or practice responsably ,a bow won't be accurate un;ess you take the time to have it tuned correctly and use your practice time to repair your own form error's . Sure it's nice to have the speed and the great option's that the bow companies supply us with but they can't make a bow accurate unless you take the time to be accurate yourself.

nubo
Old 04-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

i can see the point in this question, i know that tournament scores were higher (at least around here) in the late 80s early 90s. strange since bows are so much better technically speaking. i think that people are not shooting year round as much anymore. our indoor tournaments used to draw over 100 shooters every time. were lucky to get anymore. our indoor league has dropped from 12 to 15 teams a year to 7. for me personally, it is because indoor blue face is plain boring. i myself shoot year round, ususlly at my 3Ds, or at our indoor range out to 40 yards (the back wall). i dont really think accuracy has been affected, maybe more just serious some of the shooters are now, compared to how it used to be.

i do also think that too many bowhunters dont shoot yearround, then about a week before season, crank it up and shoot a few. i also believe that expandable broadheads are part of this, guys dont have to work to tune there bows, they fly like their practice tips. i think most hunters need to shoot more, but the bows are way more accurate then any of us who shoot em

brad
Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

If we are honest, speed has taken most things front and center.

I will also disagree on a few statements made. 10-15 years ago I shot with some archers at 3D shoots that could rival any today. I shot as well or better back then myself. Of course I am getting older now, wear glasses, etc. [8D]
Old 04-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Mathews Switchback and it's..........

33" ATA (short bow)
Cranked up to 73lbs (extremely fast)
Flinging arrows (28 1/4" at 350gr) at over 300 FPS

But here's the kicker to the whole accuracy comment. I'm shooting dime to quarter size groups at 30yds on a consistant basis. So chill out. All peeps aren't giving up accuracy for speed.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Stone316_74

I shoot a Mathews Switchback and it's..........

33" ATA (short bow)
Cranked up to 73lbs (extremely fast)
Flinging arrows (28 1/4" at 350gr) at over 300 FPS

But here's the kicker to the whole accuracy comment. I'm shooting dime to quarter size groups at 30yds on a consistant basis. So chill out. All peeps aren't giving up accuracy for speed.
Shoot in hunting conditions. Such as up steep inclines, and down steep inclines. Put one foot 6" higher than the other, or shoot on a side hill. Shoot straight down out of a treestand. Try shooting within 2.5 seconds of hitting full draw. Anyone that has good form can shoot one of these bows of level ground. Once you get in an unusual position is when you will see the difference.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:40 AM

I started bowhunting in 1983, since then, I'm on my 6th bow. Yeah I know, didn't upgrade for many years.

Each bow was faster and flatter shooting than the one before it. (except when I used a recurve) AND, with every new bow, I get more and more accurate.

I am now throwing a pretty fast arrow, but it's so accurate that I'm afraid to shoot groups for fear of hitting one of the other arrows. NOT complaining though

Kev
Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 AM

I am sick of you speed haters asserting that fast is inaccurate. I will put my fast bow up against your slow bow anyday and twice on Sunday. Fast or slow does not mean squat. It is the shooter! Get a life.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Medic167

I am sick of you speed haters asserting that fast is inaccurate. I will put my fast bow up against your slow bow anyday and twice on Sunday. Fast or slow does not mean squat. It is the shooter! Get a life.
Ok, I will make you a deal. At the end of the summer, count all of the pro national championships that are won with your fast bow. Then multiply that number by 10. I will count all of the national pro champioships won by my slow bow. Then we will compare numbers, and if you get off of 0 you might have a chance.

Quick Reply: Does anyone care about accuracy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.