Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can look down on you for using a compound

Old 04-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Default I can look down on you for using a compound

Okay - don't get in a huff. I have nothing against compounds, used one last fall, shot them for years.

However .......... it seems that the majority of people disapprove of crossbows in archery season because they are easier to shoot and take much less practice/skill (their argument, not mine)

Using that argument ........... I shoot a recurve. To me, the compound bow is so easy to use. It uses cables and pulley and cams to generate energy (instead of just the limbs and a single string). Its got really high let off, its very fast, very quiet, very light and designed to be highly accurate. They are designed to use sights on, drop away rests, triggered releases - they take much less practice/skill compared to my shooting. I have no sights, no letoff, I can't hold while my target animal gets into a good position. I have to practice all year round to stay good enough to shoot at 15-20 yards .......... and these compound can be picked up and in short order guys can be grouping out to 30-40 yards or more.

So ............ as easily as compounders can look down on crossbowers and say their weapons don't belong because of the way the bow is held, the way its released, the comparisons in letoff ............ can't I say the same thing about compounds ?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Default RE: I can look down on you for using a compound

No one said the xbow was not easier, we said it is an entirely different weapon and belongs in a seperate season. Ie. muzzleloader vs rifle.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:41 PM

it is an entirely different weapon

How ?

Name your reason its a different weapon. Its got two limbs like a compound, it uses strings like a compound, unlike a compound some literally are two limbs and a SINGLE string, they both are high speed, high letoff, easy to use, very advantageous over what a recurve is .........

How about this. A compound is an entirely different weapons and belongs in a seperate season. Fair ?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 PM

See muzzleloader vs rifle.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Datamax -

I'll give you this one!

You are a more accomplished archer if you can get your deer with a stickbow than a compound.

Now get back to the X-bow thread and help out BigJ - he's getting creamed!
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 PM

See muzzleloader vs rifle.
If you shoot a muzzleloader you're taking a more challenging approach to deer hunting and you CAN use one in rifle season too.

So we make a compound and crossbow season (for all you sissy's that won't take the time to learn to shoot a real bow, right ) and give ya'll about 4 weeks, and the other 8-12 weeks we'll reserve for really tough bowhunting (recurves and longbows)

Of course, we'll also hunt in your season too - being that we have tougher equipment to hunt with.

See ? Easy - simple, using your argument aginast crossbows against you

thesource - so I DO have every reason to look down on compounders, make fun of them, call them non-archers and wish they were not a part of archery seaon at all and have validity in those views ?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:13 PM

Essentially the same weapon, yet seperate seasons
Old 04-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Essentially the same weapon, yet seperate seasons
EXACTLY !!

So .......... we need to seperate compounds out of archery season.

Right ?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:18 PM

I didn't say you had validity. Its still pretty tough to kill a good buck with a compound. A lot tougher than a crossbow

I'm telling you I respect those traditional shooters that can kill a deer with a stickbow. I don't respect those that gutshoot 3 before they kill one - they should be using a compound and practicing.

BigJ really needs your help over there....
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 PM

So .......... we need to seperate compounds out of archery season.

Right ?
No, b/c that is like saying we need to seperate unscoped rifles from scoped rifles.

Quick Reply: I can look down on you for using a compound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.