Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can look down on you for using a compound

Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: I can look down on you for using a compound

Let me tell you why I THINK datamax even started this thread.

There have been countless threads on this board over the recent months, where the compound bow hunters have been crucifying crossbow hunters, saying that they aren't as worthy as the almighty bowhunter. First, let me say that I don't hunt with a crossbow. I've never even shot one for that matter. The point that datamax is making is that all hunting weapons have their own similarities and their own differences. A 7mm is different than a .243, which is different than a 12 gauge slug gun, which is different than a muzzleloader. By the same token, a longbow differs from a compound, just as a compound differs from a crossbow.

For everybody complaining that there should be different seasons for "bows" (longbows and compounds) vs. crossbows, there could just as easily be a separate season for longbows vs. compound bows. If you want to hunt with a longbow, good for you. If you'd prefer a compound bow, kudos. Or, if you'd rather use a crossbow, go for it. Let's just stop pi$$ing and moaning about what others use to hunt and go enjoy the outdoors.

QUIT KEEPING SCORE ON WHAT TYPE OF BOW YOUR NEIGHBOR USES! LET'S JUST HUNT BY THE RULES AND HAVE FUN!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:00 PM

The majority of compounders are dedicated, ethical bowhunters.,,I really believe that. Or they will become dedicated, ethical bowhunters in the near future, or they will quit. Rallying the troups around crossbows only invites a whole other groups of yahoos to the bow season. I can't see where that helps anyone.
You cannot prove any of the above, its all speculation. And BTW - did you look up all the threads last year before season ? Ask bowshop owners - and if they're honest they'll tell you all the people coming in just a week or two before season.

Wole 'nother group of yahoos ? Uh ...... no, I don't think so and how can I prove it ? 30 years and no large group of yahoo's using crossbows in AR. Jusy guys wanting to bowhunt that don't have the dedication to use compounds and realize it is all.

datamax you gotta be kidding me, its like ur so full of yourself and you think your "better" then everyone else because you shoot a stickbow. well good for you, i know its harder but still lets not get to cocky im sure everyone that bowhunts is pretty much dedicated or they wouldnt be doing it.
Did you not read the very first thing I typed ? geesh

tocs - I've put compounds in the hands of quite a few people and they were shooting nice groups almost immeditaely. The modern compound is DESIGNED to be shot with ease. Thats why most guys shoot them. Its fact - its true ............ shooting a compound is quite easy. For anyone.

Our righteousness on these issues is going to bite us in a big way if we don't get it together!
Are you for crossbows in archery season ? Assuming the State's G&F decide there will be no negative impacts ?

That makes me feel better....at least I know Im not the only one that struggles with consistancy using the trad gear. I think if I comitted myself to it more I could do it....but Im afraid to do that, and fail, leaving me worthless with a compound as well.....
If you only knew how many times I've questioned why I'm in the woods with a recurve in my hands ! And I'm not a bad shot BTW - its just damn difficult and not even in the same league as compound shooting. You know what I'm talking about there I guess huh ?

And again, I like the compound just fine - its done wonders for archery and even as easy as they've become, and the millions of archers that use them, they have never to my knowledge been a negative to archery by way of reduction of seasons or such. I would have to dislike compound based only on the fact that my choice of bows is much tought - and thats crazy isn't it ?

But isn't that what compounders do ? Looking at crossbows like they're evil because simply they are a bit easier to use ?

You're misunderstanding me Data, I mean a deer that comes in quick, stops for a second or two offering that beautiful shot, winks at you and then starts walking off again...
When I compound shoot and see a deer I want to shoot I always, and I mean ALWAYS draw right then or as soon as I can. I'll hold as long as I need before the shot comes or the deer goes away. Never that I can remember has a snap shot presented itsself. I suppose it happens though

But you started this thread to bash fellow archers.
Nope - I made that very clear in the opening post. I don't mind compounds at all. Or crossbows. Or drawlocks for that matter. They affect my archery ZERO

Matt -

www.tradgang.com - the living legends hang out there and I'm serious.

www.bowsite.com - theres a link on the bottom right to Leatherwall

Oh and you're shooting the Hoyt Gamemaster right?
Funny I was detesting trying a metal riser bow. Why ? The whole "trad" concept ! I've shot,bought,sold and traded maybe 60-70 or more high dollar, top end recurves/longbows in the past 3 years. Seriously. And I kept a 3 piece TD longbow by Adcock and my Gamemaster with 45# and 55# limbs. Its that good a bow in my hands

For the record once more, my #1 fear for Hunting as I know it is game farming and game ranching/canned hunts. Its destroying us. The #2 thing would be hutners against hunters - like the whole crossbow concept, rifle hunters vs archers etc. I guess #3 would be the anti's because of the money and lobbying they have. Compounds ? They pose no threat at all and I have no problems with people using them. None.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:10 PM

This is ridiculous! I dare ANY of you to answer one question. How in the world does it matter to you that someone on the other side of the country chooses a different weapon to hunt with than you do?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

One time at bandcamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be either a lawyer or a politition
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 PM

How in the world does it matter to you that someone on the other side of the country chooses a different weapon to hunt with than you do?
ONly if the weapons resulted in a negative impact to the sport. Example - we can't leave rifle season open for 4 consecutive months - they'd kill all the deer. So its restricted. Archery season is set aside to maximize the sport - and the challenge of getting 20 yards from a deer and killing it - which means low success rate. Only if crossbows, or compounds for that matter, resulted in a negative impact would I see a reason to take measures.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Data,

I have been following this bs in the crossbow thread that has now got to 110 pages. Now this crap has started again in this one. OK your little recurve is harder to shoot. I still say a cross bow is crap. That’s And all this "I can look down on you" bull butter is makes you sound like you are in Junior high trying to pick on the little nerdy kid.

And funny thing ........... I can practice hundreds of hours, climb into a stand a miss a buck first day, and the fools picking their compounds up the week before opener can go out and walk up on a 180" buck with a 20 year old compound and kill it.

This tells me I can look down on you if you are stupid enough to "practice hundreds of hours" and admit that a guy can go out with his 20 compound the week before season and shoot better than you. IMO that makes you the fool. In fact you are unethical to hunt with a recurve because obviously you are not a 100% shot. I practice many hours year round (not hundreds) and if I aim at a deer and release I am not going to miss it. I won’t shoot if I am not certain of the shot. And I am damn sure not going to miss because I am shooting a stick and string with no sights. You are so very closed minded to try to generalize compound hunters as the ones who want the easy route.

Here is my conclusion.

You must really have low self esteem. People like you need to down other people to make themselves feel better. I feel sorry for you. You have nothing better to do that sit around and stir up crap. In most of these post you try to be condescending and Mr. know it all. Like another guy said this really is stupid. Really entertaining though.

Here is some advice:
If you can practice hundreds of hours and still be out shot by some lazy slob shooting a 20 year old compound that only practices the week before season you should really consider hanging that recurve on the wall and sticking with your compound. And if this is the case like you admit.. You must really suck with one. Someone with such poor shooting skills really should not be looking down on people.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

HNIJustin
Administrator

Status: offline RE: I can look down on you for usin... (in reply to tocs)

You guys make my head hurt.

HuntingNet.com - The Ultimate Hunting Community!
I'll second that, This fight/arguement has been going on in Idaho too. The traditional fans pushed for seperate season saying a compound was too effective. The IDF&G tried it out in a few units. You could only hunt with a traditional equipment with cedar arrows, with a CUC broadhead. They did away with it because they sold so few elk and deer tags for those units.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcrazy8
Non Typical

Status: offline RE: I can look down on you for usin... (in reply to datamax)

One time at bandcamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be either a lawyer or a politition

< Message edited by Elkcrazy8 -- 4/8/2005 9:21:24 PM >
Thats funny and true. I should also add, well one time at bandcamp.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

datamax, on those infrequent occasions when I drag my compound out, I shoot a long axle to axle, deflex risered, round wheel, 65% letoff compound, with arrows running 9.5 grains per pound of draw weight around 220 fps, barebow with fingers? It's not all that much easier than a recurve. In fact, I call it my orthopedic recurve. Plus, since I'm 6'6", I don't think you're gonna be looking DOWN on me.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:34 AM

You're right - I don't care what weapon anybody uses - as long as its in the right SEASON.

Quick Reply: I can look down on you for using a compound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.