Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can look down on you for using a compound

Old 04-08-2005, 04:18 PM

Default RE: I can look down on you for using a compound

Data

If most compounders were, as you say, opportunists that are looking for the easy way into archery....they would embrace crossbows.

I seriously disagree with you here, dude.

Traditionalists are the purists, I agree with that. They have chosen the toughest path, and god bless them. I hope that their motives are pure - to increase the challenge of bowhunting by further decreasing the range required to take an ethical shot.

Compounders are more pragmatic. They increase their lethality so that they can capitalize on those opportunities that are just outside the range of traditionalists, or raise the certainty of those chances inside said boundaries.

I will agree there are yahoos with compounds out there that "tech up" to increase their range and take questionable shots. I do not believe that most, or even many, of the folks you chat with here fall into that group.

Maybe I am just naive.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM

How old are you thesource ?

Compounders are not the dedicated lot that trad guys are. Some are - for sure, and they number many because there are millions of compound shooters.

Look back on the threads leading up to last deer season. 1 week before opener and guys are freaking saying their bows aren't shooting good, or their broadheads fly different or what head should i shoot etc etc.

Dime a dozen, and I mean that, and its not restricted to compounds, its recurve shooters, rifle shooters, shotgun shooters, compound shooters - its widespread.

I'm pretty dedicated - hunting is what I do - it IS my hobby with few other things getting any attention. I can control what I do, my personal ethics and everyone else ? Not a lot I can do. And funny thing ........... I can practice hundreds of hours, climb into a stand a miss a buck first day, and the fools picking their compounds up the week before opener can go out and walk up on a 180" buck with a 20 year old compound and kill it.

Leaves me with my mouth open ........ it really does
Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

Essentially the same weapon, yet seperate seasons
EXACTLY !!

So .......... we need to seperate compounds out of archery season.

Right ?
Hey while were at it lets take out rifles all together and jus use muzzleloaders lol but serioulsy i dont care what anyone else uses just as long as they stay outa my way when they are using them[8D]
Old 04-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

Compounders are not the dedicated lot that trad guys are. Some are - for sure, and they number many because there are millions of compound shooters.
datamax you gotta be kidding me, its like ur so full of yourself and you think your "better" then everyone else because you shoot a stickbow. well good for you, i know its harder but still lets not get to cocky im sure everyone that bowhunts is pretty much dedicated or they wouldnt be doing it.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM

I'm 41 - not a kid, by any means.

A lot of compounders are just as dedicated as traditional guys.

I bend over backwards to help the technically inept prior to bowseason. Spine matching, FOC, broadhead tuning...many of these things that are not any where near as important in traditional as they are with compounds.

There are yahoos in every lot...I can't even begin to tell you the number of guys who believe their saboted 12 ga is the ballistic equivalent of a 7mm Rem Mag.

The majority of compounders are dedicated, ethical bowhunters.,,I really believe that. Or they will become dedicated, ethical bowhunters in the near future, or they will quit. Rallying the troups around crossbows only invites a whole other groups of yahoos to the bow season. I can't see where that helps anyone.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:48 PM

I'm not completely certain what the goal of this thread is?There is no question that to Master traditional equipment is much more difficult then shooting a compound.To insinuate that shooting effectively shooting a compound is as simple as you are stating it to be isn't at all accurate,unless you were a long time compound shooter who chose to go traditional and then went back to a compound.
I am a very competent compound shooter after having taken years of practice and thousands and thousands of arrows shot.With the hunting knowledge I have I could purchase a crossbow and be same day immediately successful.I am not opposed to crossbow hunting,I am just saying that the time and effort required to be proficient with a crossbow cannot be fairly compared with a compound bow.If you are being realistic there is no way not to see this.
We all know examples of people who aren't as practiced as they should be,to that I say a slob is a slob is a slob,regardless of what weapon that person is using.
I have seen many threads where people are focusing on the differences between hunters and their methods.Personally I think that we are our own worst enemy in that regard.Our righteousness on these issues is going to bite us in a big way if we don't get it together!
Old 04-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys make my head hurt.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

just speaking for me here of course....

i dont give a rat's ass what anybody hunts with, be it recurve, compound, or crossbow. i personally hunt with recurves and compounds both, and would love to try a crossbow. i dont think i would ever hunt big game in archery season with it, at least not bucks. maybe a doe tag? i think crossbows would be the cats meow on spring turkeys. sounds like fun. but i wont give up my recurve or compound either.

maybe im in the minority, but i think hunters need to stick together to win versus the antis, and dividing isnt the way to do it.

i dont care what you shoot, im in this for a good time, and some venison steaks

brad
Old 04-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

huntnmuleys hit the nail on the head with that one.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Hunting with traditional tackle is pretty hard. I so badly want to do it...but its either my skills or the cruddy old traditional equipment I have that wont let me improve enough to loose an arrow at game.
Been there, and back, and there again ..... thats why I picked up the compound last fall.
That makes me feel better....at least I know Im not the only one that struggles with consistancy using the trad gear. I think if I comitted myself to it more I could do it....but Im afraid to do that, and fail, leaving me worthless with a compound as well.....

Compound cant be snap-shot the way I can shoot my recurve.
Mind you I'm still a rookie at the trad thing .......... but don't snap shoot. For me, my target MUST be standing still, I cannot shoot a moving target like I can with a compound (yet). Fred could snap shoot - most trad guys cannot. Why ? Its the focusing thing. Boring a hole where you want the arrow to go. If the target is moving, if your rushed into that snap shooting mode ........ much harder to do IMO
You're misunderstanding me Data, I mean a deer that comes in quick, stops for a second or two offering that beautiful shot, winks at you and then starts walking off again... Im sure you all know what Im talking about, you know the 190" buck that laughs at you in that snide deer way. Im still after that bugger though...hehehe.....He will get his....
I wasnt talking about shooting running shots....Although, a few years ago, I was shooting the recurve at swinging coke cans and I was better at that, then I was at shooting a spot....That was at 15-20 yards too....Now I can hardly hit a barn.....hahahahaa....well maybe a barn, but not a specific location. hehehee

Why do we have to belittle one weapon over another?
I don't think we do. Why ? Because in states that allow crossbows they have never been known to cause any issues - none of the fears people have of them have ever surfaced. Allow them - allow compounds .......... whats it matter really ?
Thats not what I was getting at....as you know, I could care less now about the crossbows...you made a pretty good argument on their behalf and changed my mind for the most part. There are still things I dont like about them, but thats not what Im saying. What Im saying is, I dont think we need a thread that states you look down on a particular type of weapon. I could understand if you were berating poachers, or trashing people using hand grenades. But you started this thread to bash fellow archers. Archers using a weapon only slightly "easier" than yours. Granted it is no better or no worse than what others have been doing by berating crossbows, but like they say....two wrongs dont make a right! But three lefts do....hahahaha...sorry, just trying to keep it light. Im not trying to lecture anyone here...

Data, I think you made your point that it is more difficult to hunt with a recurve in some respects. Anyway you can let it rest now?
Most guys shoot compounds. Why ? The answer there will tell you that compounds are vaslty more efficient weapons to kill animals. Thats your reason - you need go no further. Crossbows aint got jack on a compound really. In states that allow crossbows you still got like 60-70% or more of the guys using compounds.
Im not sure if you meant that its MY reason, or if you meant that it was the majority of compounders reasons.....but I dont think its fair to speak on the behalf of others. Im sure you understand by now that I use the most simple compound I can, that Im still competent with. Im also trying to switch over to trad, so my attitude isnt about whats easiest.....Its about whats the most challenging weapon I can use, and not wound game.

Id really like a thread written by one of the die hard trad shooters, and I would appreciate it a lot more than this.
Go to Tradgang - no compound threads or crossbow threads allowed there. Read up the Leatherwall...
Thanks! Is tradgang part of this site? I think I saw it somewhere below this section....how about leatherwall? Do you have a link(s)? Im not sure I will be posting any questions there though if they are as snooty as you say....Maybe just read and get some ideas. Im not too bad with the recurve, just not consistant....one day I can go out there and shoot groups that rival most compound shooters, then another day I go out and spread em out all over the target. Im really getting the hang of shooting with fingers again, I used to love shooting my compounds with fingers....but I became a mess after someone gave me "lessons" and told me to release within three seconds of getting on target.....took me a while to get over that stuff....but Ive become a great shot after a lot of effort...thats part of the reason Im afraid to start up trad....I dont want to go through target panic again. If you have any ideas or suggestions Id be willing to listen or even if you can just get me a link to those sites. That would be great.

Oh and you're shooting the Hoyt Gamemaster right? How do you like that bow? I was gonna get one, but couldnt justify spending a dime on something I cant do with what I have already. I also like the AIM deerslayer....just a pretty recurve. Someday maybe, but for now the one I have will do.....

Have a good one---Matt

Quick Reply: I can look down on you for using a compound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.