Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can look down on you for using a compound

Old 04-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Default RE: I can look down on you for using a compound

Data - at least you are being more honest with your motives this time. Its really about traditional vs compound, and has nothing to do with Xbow.

You have a reasonable case - drag it on out there for every one to examine!
Old 04-08-2005, 03:33 PM

I didn't say you had validity. Its still pretty tough to kill a good buck with a compound. A lot tougher than a crossbow
I didn't know you'd hunted with a crossbow ? Please tell us what it was like.

I'm telling you I respect those traditional shooters that can kill a deer with a stickbow. I don't respect those that gutshoot 3 before they kill one - they should be using a compound and practicing.
I agree. Compound shooters who miss a lot/wound should go to a crossbow. Agree ?

No, b/c that is like saying we need to seperate unscoped rifles from scoped rifles.

You suggested seperate seasons based on how the bow in question compares to other bows allowed, not me !

BTW - is the differences in what is and isn't allowed now based on sights (scopes) ?? Hey - almost all compounders use sights - recurve shooters shoot with no sights. Yet another reason for us to look down on ya'll ..... right ?

thesource - its about archery really, where its been, where its at and where we're going. Its actually a very complex, deep subject that I take much more seriously than most guys do -
Old 04-08-2005, 03:37 PM

BTW - is the differences in what is and isn't allowed now based on sights (scopes) ?? Hey - almost all compounders use sights - recurve shooters shoot with no sights. Yet another reason for us to look down on ya'll ..... right ?

You definitely get your shots in where ever possible
Old 04-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Data, there are more bowhunters today than in past years and the majority use a compound. So to take compounds away from the general archery seasons would increase the deer population even more. It ain't gonna happen. Put crossbows into their own season or include them with firearms season as is practiced in some states.

What is your motive behind these threads? Everyone has a motive. Is it to convert some hunters to using a crossbow or to using traditional equipment? Is it simply to try to validate your arguments? Is it because you are in the minority and can't stand it?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:44 PM

Compound shooters who miss/wound a lot are unethical slobs, they should quit the sport or go to the range. A crossbow won't solve their problems!! and I have zero tolerance for them. As, I believe, most bowhunters feel.

Data, you're wrong to generalize compounders as no practice, pick it up and hunt guys.

I shoot 30-50 arrows a night from June through November. I practice out to 45yds, but cut shooting lanes to 30 yds. My longest shot ever was last year - 20 yds.

Most guys shooting compounds are not all that different from you - like it or not. Some folks like to err on the side of lethality when hunting. I don't see that as a big problem.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 PM

Data, there are more bowhunters today than in past years and the majority use a compound. So to take compounds away from the general archery seasons would increase the deer population even more. It ain't gonna happen. Put crossbows into their own season or include them with firearms season as is practiced in some states.

Now wait a second. If the goal is to kill MORE deer ............. why not allow crossbows in archery season ? Increase archer numbers would lead to some additional kill - helping the situation, right ?

What is your motive behind these threads? Everyone has a motive. Is it to convert some hunters to using a crossbow or to using traditional equipment? Is it simply to try to validate your arguments? Is it because you are in the minority and can't stand it?

I see the majority of people having this P&Y induced, trance like "we must keep the evil crossbows at bay " stance with a glazy eye look and nothing to back up their belief/view.

Compounders are easy to use, they are but a weak shadow of what trad bows are in the way they function and the way they're used ......... and yet compound shooters don't want crossbows in archery season. Why ? Its not because there will be more archers - Lord knows we cna use all the hunters we can get, right ? Its not about losing seasons or bag limits - thats proven to have never ever happened before in any state allowing them and would be a silly old fear to adhere to. Its not about technology - Lord knows compound are decked out with the latest tricks and toys.

So what is it Cougar Mag ? Could it possibly be, that the P&Y and PBS has preached it so long we're just drones to believing it ? Seriously .......... ???????
Old 04-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Compound shooters who miss/wound a lot are unethical slobs, they should quit the sport or go to the range. A crossbow won't solve their problems!! and I have zero tolerance for them. As, I believe, most bowhunters feel.
I thought a crossbow was a sure fire weapon to kill deer with ?

Data, you're wrong to generalize compounders as no practice, pick it up and hunt guys.
Am I ? Do a search on "missed" and "wounded" and such from 1 year back, right here on this forum. You tell me why so many guys wound/miss

I shoot 30-50 arrows a night from June through November. I practice out to 45yds, but cut shooting lanes to 30 yds. My longest shot ever was last year - 20 yds.
I knows its hard to believe other guys don't practice like you and i do - believe it because they don't.

Most guys shooting compounds are not all that different from you - like it or not. Some folks like to err on the side of lethality when hunting. I don't see that as a big problem.
Hugely different in that they want their easy to use weapons - but they don't want crossbows because they're easy to us.

Doesn't that seem odd ?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM

NOT AGAIN!!!!![:'(][&o]

Anyway....

I'll say this...

Hunting with traditional tackle is pretty hard. I so badly want to do it...but its either my skills or the cruddy old traditional equipment I have that wont let me improve enough to loose an arrow at game.

Im sure some people probably would have gone out and tried already, but I just know in my heart and mind that Im not consistent enough. I wouldnt want to wound an animal just for more challenge.

Though I am working on it....it just seems like it would feel like more of an accomplishment.

We shouldnt take anything away from the majority of compounders though either. I mean even with my compound, Im not shooting all the fancy gismos you keep talking about. And it takes practice to stay fine tuned. I dont just pick it up 4 days before the hunt, shoot ten arrows and declare myself able. I practice year round. Learning the equipment, perfecting both it and myself. This way I KNOW when the season rolls around, I am up to the task.

My set up is pretty simple too....as Im sure a lot of bowhunters setups are;

53# with 65% let-off.
I use the same carbon arrows and broadheads I plan on using out of my recurve.
I do use a release aid, but thats only because I battled with a case of target panic to rival most any. Release aid helped me to cure that. I am relearning to shoot "fingers" now....but its still a bit of a challenge.
My bow is pretty slow compared to most, and doesnt have lighted sights or a peep, or a drop away.

Infact, after practicing a lot with my recurve, Id have to say it has some distinct advantages over my compounds. Im gonna list them below. Let me know if Im right or wrong.

Compound is a lot heavier than a recurve or longbow. Making the compound harder to carry long distances. There are days when I hike so far, I want to leave it leaned up against a tree. My recurve on the other hand is like a feather....its a thing of beauty to both look at and to carry.

Compound cant be snap-shot the way I can shoot my recurve. Causing many fast shot opportunities to slip away. I can definitely think of a few shot opportunities missed because I couldnt get hooked up to the string, drawn back, leveled out, aimed, and back tensioned a shot off quickly enough.

I can see longer with no sights and shoot my recurve until after legal shooting hours. (Not that I have or would, but I have practiced with it like that) My compound is useless before the end of shooting hours. (sometimes just a few minutes, sometimes a good deal of time... depending upon canopy cover or overcast skies etc.)

What Im getting at is this;

Why do we have to belittle one weapon over another?

We all have to get relatively close to the deer, we all have to draw back undetected, we all have to loose an arrow that is both sharp and true. We all have to put a razor sharp broadhead into the vitals of the animal. We ALL have to track that animal over whatever distance it may take to find it. And we all owe that animal our respect, and have to eat it to pay that respect.

So why point out a weapon that you deem "easier" and make fun of it, and its users? Its just not right.

With a sport so in danger of attack and collapse, we need to stop attacking each other!

Data, I think you made your point that it is more difficult to hunt with a recurve in some respects. Anyway you can let it rest now?

Maybe you can spend your time more productively and write up a thread about getting into traditional tackle. Id be interested in a good write up as Im sure others would be too. I have a shoddy old handed down Ben Pearson recurve that Im just DYING to hunt with, but I just cant get with the program.....Maybe you can help instead of berating the compounders....what do you say?

Id really like a thread written by one of the die hard trad shooters, and I would appreciate it a lot more than this.

Have a good one all---Matt
Old 04-08-2005, 04:05 PM

THIS IS STUPID.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:14 PM

Hunting with traditional tackle is pretty hard. I so badly want to do it...but its either my skills or the cruddy old traditional equipment I have that wont let me improve enough to loose an arrow at game.
Been there, and back, and there again ..... thats why I picked up the compound last fall.

I do use a release aid,
A HUGE deal - it really is.

Compound is a lot heavier than a recurve or longbow
Try lugging a crossbow around

Compound cant be snap-shot the way I can shoot my recurve.
Mind you I'm still a rookie at the trad thing .......... but don't snap shoot. For me, my target MUST be standing still, I cannot shoot a moving target like I can with a compound (yet). Fred could snap shoot - most trad guys cannot. Why ? Its the focusing thing. Boring a hole where you want the arrow to go. If the target is moving, if your rushed into that snap shooting mode ........ much harder to do IMO

Why do we have to belittle one weapon over another?
I don't think we do. Why ? Because in states that allow crossbows they have never been known to cause any issues - none of the fears people have of them have ever surfaced. Allow them - allow compounds .......... whats it matter really ?

Data, I think you made your point that it is more difficult to hunt with a recurve in some respects. Anyway you can let it rest now?
Most guys shoot compounds. Why ? The answer there will tell you that compounds are vaslty more efficient weapons to kill animals. Thats your reason - you need go no further. Crossbows aint got jack on a compound really. In states that allow crossbows you still got like 60-70% or more of the guys using compounds.

Id really like a thread written by one of the die hard trad shooters, and I would appreciate it a lot more than this.
Go to Tradgang - no compound threads or crossbow threads allowed there. Read up the Leatherwall and Tradgang and you'll see an elitist attitude that in a lot of posts will make you think Damn, wouldn't want to camp with those fellows ! The same attitude that comes out of guys posts on crossbows and I do mean the same.

Ironic to me too - because crossbows have been in AR for 30 years, we've never lost a day of season because of them, they don't dominate the woods, people still shoot recurves and longbows and compounds ........... never a negative.

And people still look down on them [&o]

Quick Reply: I can look down on you for using a compound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.