Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Default RE: What is the biggest problem you face?

After all these years and many deer harvested, I still have a problem with concentrating on picking a spot. I've gotten better the last couple of years. But for a long time I was just a 'zone' shooter. Draw, put pin in kill zone, release.... I find it very hard during the heat of the moment, when the heart is really pumping and adrenilin is flowing to calm down and just PICK A SPOT.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

When finding the perfect area or spot it seems there is hardly ever the perfect tree for wind or beeing hid in.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finding time to scout, prime scouting seasons are often taken up with prime kid activity season.

--Bob
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

After all these years and many deer harvested, I still have a problem with concentrating on picking a spot. I've gotten better the last couple of years. But for a long time I was just a 'zone' shooter. Draw, put pin in kill zone, release.... I find it very hard during the heat of the moment, when the heart is really pumping and adrenilin is flowing to calm down and just PICK A SPOT.
When finding the perfect area or spot it seems there is hardly ever the perfect tree for wind or beeing hid in.
These would definitely be 2 of my bigger issues.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My most difficult thing is exploring for and using new areas.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 AM

Just being in the tree I pick at the right time. Twice late last season I had a good size buck(judging by tracks and rubs he left behind) pass within 15 yards of the tree I was hunting out of. The first time couldn't have been more then a couple of hours before I arrived at camp. The second was two days later when another good buck and two does (again judging by tracks) passed by my stand while I was stalking a fresh track I had cut on the way to my climber. Later that day when I went to retrive my climber there were those 3 sets of fresh tracks and the "buck" track walked right up to my rush creek deer lure I was spraying out of a spray bottle(could see the brown urine on the snow).

Finding a productive tree isn't hard. Being there at the right time can be. The silver lining is I found another prime stand location while stalking the buck. It didn't help last year but should be a productive stand this fall.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finding a productive tree isn't hard. Being there at the right time can be. The silver lining is I found another prime stand location while stalking the buck. It didn't help last year but should be a productive stand this fall.
That's why I hunt daylight til dark on most weekends. At least I know on the days I am able to hunt if one comes by I am going to be there.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 AM

Shooting accurately with my recurve.

I've hunted all my life, and while I'm still learning, I can go into the woods and be pretty good at locating the right place to put the stand, how to place it, how to hunt it etc etc.

I think for most guys stand PLACEMENT is most critical. Not only WHERE the deer will be, but in such a position as to draw and shoot without them seeing you.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM

I hear you loud and clear Silent. The tree is about 4 1/2 hours from my home and I didn't get to the tree until about 8:00. That was my bad. Two days later I got buck fever after cutting a hugh track and following it less then 50 yards to a huge rub. I did finally catch up with the buck which looked to be a good 8 outside the ears but he sensed me comming and I just didn't have a shot at the bounding buck with my bow.

If I learned something it is to stick to you game plan. Had I done that I may have gotten a shot that day but I wouldn't have found the new stand location. Regardless it was a good day in the woods.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.