Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "There is MORE to a trophy: Than the SIZE of the Rack."

RTA47
Non Typical

Status: offline RE: "There is MORE to a trophy... (in reply to Pa Trophy Man)

When I was a very young any deer to me would have been concidered a trophy if I were lucky enuff to take it. So why should that same deer be any less of a trophy today?
Number of kills? Size of animal? I assure you just because I let younger bucks walk today does by no mean makes him any less of a trophy to me. Why because hidden in that small young deer frame stands a mature buck in a few more yrs. And that is the standerds on which I have set for myself.
What ever you concider to be a trophy is your personal opion. whether it be for the hunting experiece or the memory of the hunt or the size of the animal? or maby just the meat? ect. There is lots more to being a trophy than just the size of the horns...rta47

Old 04-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've just got to take a moment to do a little editing on your favorite statement here, Steve. There are no colons or commas in the middle of a complete sentence. Your statement should read: "There is more to a trophy than the size of the rack."

No colons, semicolons, or commas. Just a subject and verb linked together with articles and modifiers. It wouldn't bug me so much except I see it all the time in your threads.

Now... Carry on with your dialectic!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the word trophy can mean different things to different people. It a guy wants to spend tens of thousand of dollars for a wall hanger he personally killed, so be it.

I personally view hunting as having different levels of success all leading up to the final prize, or trophy. When you can count the eye lashes on a deer feeding on browse 15 feet in front of you that has no clue the big blob that looks like a tree is danger, you know you've done something right. Letting that deer grow for another season or two is a trophy hunt in its own right IMO.

I've never shot a real big deer, shot many small racked bucks and plenty of doe, but nothing in a "trophy" class. They are all to a certain degree, trophies in my mind - the completion of the hunt, the ultimate success - a deer in the back of my truck.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 PM

I really like alot of the answers in this topic. I agree with almost all that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. I'm not trying to toot my horn when I say I have taken alot of very nice bucks in my life but it is instead to make a point. Although I have harvested bucks up to the 170'' range it doesn't mean I pass up lesser deer. The amount of time invested, the dedication, and conditions are all things that can make a trophy regardless of size. I have a friend that is a self-pronounced expert and gives me alot of heck when I kill a buck that is in his opinion a dink. There are alot more variables that make a trophy a TROPHY besides a large set of antlers or even no antlers for that matter. In the end you are the only one you have to satisfy. I have seen alot of feelings hurt when others have stuck their foot in their mouth when speaking of others deer. And this is most hurtful when children are involved. Keep our sport strong and praise each other and support each other. Good luck to all in all your hunting!!!