Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hot Melt or Powerbond

Old 03-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Hot Melt or Powerbond

I have used Powerbond to glue in my inserts before. It is the best glue I have ever used. I just bought a dozen of the A/C/C arrows. In the bag of inserts is a stick of hot melt glue. Which glue would be better to use? Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Hot Melt or Powerbond

I've never had a problem with powerbond but then I've never tried hotmelt. Why mess with a good thing? it's Powerbond hands down for my shafts.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM

I asked because the instructions clearly state, "Use only Easton hot melt adhesive."
Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

The hotmelt is a superior glue.The Hotmelt is more cosistant and spreads evenly around the insert and you can remove the points later with very little heat to a field point.Even the Easton glue is better than the Bohning glue.

Just put a little around the end of the shaft and then heat the inserts and slide them in with a pair of pliers on a field tip while spinning the arrow to make sure the glue is spread evenly.

You can even tune broadheads in a broadhead tuner with hotmelt with a little heat but not with other glues.

Just make sure you clean the inside of the shaft with acetone or denatured alcohol and let dry before installing points.

Ps,what size ACC's and what kind of points did you get? Reason I ask is That Lancaster is selling PDP,inserts for the 3-28's and 3-39's that are much better than halfouts and would definately be worth the time to get them.I just installed some for a friend and was really impressed with the quality and they tapered to match a 9/32 field point.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM

I shoot the 3-60's with a 100 grain tip. Whenever I bump my weight up I will be borderline, so I figured it is better to be overspined than underspined.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The hotmelt is a superior glue.The Hotmelt is more cosistant and spreads evenly around the insert and you can remove the points later with very little heat to a field point.Even the Easton glue is better than the Bohning glue.
Bingo, I have used hot melt glue on carbon arrows for years. Never had one bust or come unglued. The best thing is while others epoxy theirs in they cannot replace inserts. It simply is easier and saves money.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't mention it earlier but I have a friend that has tested glues in arrows shot out of a Hooter Shooter at 70 meters and he said it was much easier to tune arrows with EASTON hotmelt than any other glue or hotmelt.

Heck,the stuff comes with their points so I can't think of a single reason not to use it.

ewolf,I do the same but one must be VERY careful not to get their points too hot but it really doesn't take much heat to get an insert set in with hotmelt.

Zack,for some reason I thought you were shooting low poundage and thought the 3-39's would be close but I guess I was mistaken. Guess I could have looked at your signature.[]
Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM

TFOX, I used to shoot a lower setup. That with my PSE. Bet you didn't even know I bought an Allegiance!

I just cannot make up my mind. I like the power of the Powerbond, but I like the idea that you can remove the insert from the shaft after the shot. If I were to use the hot melt glue and not be satisfied, could I switch to Powerbond? Also would the scorching speeds of the Allegiance melt the hot melt glue?[:-]
Old 03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zac,if you start with hotmelt and decide you don't like it ,sure you can switch but if you start with powerbond and then try to switch,it will be MUCH harder to get inserts out.I have done it but it takes quite a bit of heat and that is not good on carcon.

When using hotmelt just have a paper towel ready and when the insert is in place just wipe the excess glue off while it is still hot.Some like to wait untill it is cool but I have found it easier to remove while still hot.

Bowtech,imagine that,I won't hold that against you. [:-] Just kidding.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM

I think I will go with the Powerbond. I just do not like the idea of heating up carbon shafts.

Quick Reply: Hot Melt or Powerbond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.