Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hot Melt or Powerbond

Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hot Melt or Powerbond

You dont heat up the arrow, just heat up the insert and stick the hotmelt on the insert and then stick it in. (I think)
Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's right,you don't heat up the carbon.it should never get too warm to touch.

You stick the glue in the flame untill it starts to melt and then rub the glue around the edge of the arrow.Then put a field point in your insert and hold onto it with a pair of pliers and then heat the insert for about 30 seconds,(give or take) and then just spin the insert into the shaft and wipe off excess glue and you will be ready to shoot in a few minutes.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

That's the way Dairy. Keep the flame off the carbon. I've had hot melt let go before, not often, but its happened. When I build arrows they are built for keeps. Why would you want to remove an insert after installation? I know some that prefer to tune / rotate broadheads, which is simple with hot melt, but why not just dial them in when the PB is setting up? With the advent of much better adhesives, I had no need to use hot melt for years. Set it and forget it.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 PM

Hold it. There is some confusion here, or at least I am confused.

I am a big believer in following manufacturers recommendations. Zak123 is installing inserts in ACC's which Easton advises us to use hot melt (same for all aluminum). For pure carbons, they advise against using hot melt glues. I can't tell you why, however. This is just the info from their arrow building guide.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Personally, I have used Powerbond on my carbons and it has worked great. Very easy to use and spread evenly. I just put two small drops on the base of the insert and slowly rotate it as it is installed. Powerbond is not easily heat reversible IMO. Only slightly less permanent than super-glue type adhesives.

Good luck to us all.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 AM

You are not supposed to heat up carbon arrows because the carbon will start to unwrap and warp.