Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you draw?

Old 03-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Default How do you draw?

I have a weird draw. I do not know if it is right or wrong. I do not even know if there is a right or wrong way to draw. When I draw I put my right eye in my bicep and draw back. My eye follows my bicep the whole time. I keep my eye buried in my bicep until I am at full draw. I do this because of two reasons: The velcro on my release scratches the side of my fact, and because if the loop were to fail I would hit myself in the mouth. Does my draw sound a little bit strange to you guys? How do you draw back?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: How do you draw?

If that draw works for YOU, then its a perfect draw. The only disadvantage I see to it is if your eyes are buried, you cant see what the deer is doing. There are times I have begun to draw, and then let up because of something the deer has done to make me let up, look, different direction, stopped, etc.. On the other hand, I have punched myself in the mouth when I havent been careful to get my release fully around my loop. Doesnt feel the greatest, and then people ask where I got that fat lip from, lol.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I come to full draw from just above waist level... both eyes open, not obstructed and can stop the draw at anytime if required. I choose not to elevate my bow arm to keep movements to a minimum for obvious hunting reasons.

I've played the hand into mouth game before too, although that was years ago when shooting target archery as a newbie back tension release shooter. I still use back tension releases for their form benefits, but I hunt with a trigger release. I draw the same with both... now that is, and keep a back tension in my fanny pack when hunting.

The only thing I would be concerned about with your draw method would be blocked vision in a hunting situation, as previously stated by MNpurple.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:13 PM

I just tried drawing a different way. I started the draw with my bow facing downward and lifted it up as I draw. This looks like a better way to draw, but it is harder. I will keep practicing though.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, you acually put your right eye on your arm all the way back until your at full draw?

I put my bow arm straight out, and pull the string straight back until at anchor. Never taking my eyes off the target.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think I could draw like that.LOL

I point the bow and arrow at the target and pull with it pointing at the target the whole time, straight back. I don't want the arrow going where I don't want it to if something should go wrong (it does).
Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 AM

Someone mentioned that as long as it feels right to YOU, then its ok. Thats partially true.

Any other part of your form and Id agree wholeheartedly.

But to shoot to the best of your ability, you HAVE to start off with the bow pre-aimed slightly above the spot.

You can either push-pull, or put your bow arm out and simply pull.

Either way, you must draw straight back, using the large muscles in your back. This allows all your other muscles to remain relaxed throughout the shot sequence.

Raising or lowering the bow causes too many different muscles to get involved, muscles that will vary from shot to shot too much.

Your bows draw weight should be light enough to draw while sitting flat on your butt, with legs straight out in front of you.

You should never have to strain at all to draw it back, if you do, this is effecting your accuracy.

As for the fear of being punched in the face. Check your equipment regularly and this wont be a problem. The chance of a loop failing is slim, if tied properly, cared for and replaced when worn.

Ive only had one release aid fail, and that was many years ago. It was due to my own fault. I thought that a hair trigger was best. So I set it as light as it would go. Around mid-draw, the release let go and launched the arrow over my backstop and into the woods. Never found that arrow. But with proper form, I merely grazed my face.

Also, when drawing, keep your finger behind the trigger until you are anchored. Once your anchored you need to apply your finger to the trigger. A trigger with a heavy "pull" and a small amount of "travel" is best. This allows you to set your finger into the trigger, and pull through with your back. The smaller amount of travel keeps your finger from feeling the movement and relaying it to your brain.

The final reason you could be afraid to draw straight back, is when learning to use a back tension release with no safety. They are scary at first, so try them out on a lighter bow. Accuracy achieved with a properly used back tension release can be astonishing at first.

So, check your equipment, lower your draw weight if need be, and learn to draw straight back using your back muscles. You will see your accuracy improve.

By the way, to give you an idea of how light you could go;
With the harsher draw of most cams today, you need not go any higher than 60# for ANY animal on this continent.

Ive had pass throughs with 45# round wheel compounds. A well placed shot, with a razor sharp broadhead is what you NEED!

Have a good one---Matt
Old 03-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly it sounds as if you are pulling too much weight and assisting your draw with your head and neck muscles this way. If you can't comfortably pull the bow straight back with the pin slightly above the target or almost dead on the target, you are pulling too much weight.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 AM

I do pretty-much what NODOG said. I raise my bow with a locked elbow till it's aimed slightly high. Then I draw completely with my right arm until I am at my anchor point.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 AM

drawing like that ....... wouldn't you have to look away from the animal you're trying to shoot ?

Quick Reply: How do you draw?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.