Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sunday Hunting in Virginia

Old 09-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sunday Hunting in Virginia

What has to be done to get through to the fish and game people and what has worked in other states? A working man only has one morning a week as it is now.There has to be a better way. What do you think?
Should it be allowed or should it be as is? How many other states are closed to Sunday hunters? I posted this topic on the South Board but I would like as much feedback as possible so I posted here also.

Thanks,
SF

Old 09-13-2002, 11:38 PM

Default RE: Sunday Hunting in Virginia

What? I have been hunting for many years and never knew such stupid and unconstitutional law still existed. If I am reading you correctly, hunting is prohibited on Sundays in your state.

What is the basis of the state law? Religion? What else could it be?

Although I believe they (ACLU) are in many ways a despicable lot, the sportsman of your state need to run, not walk, to the nearest ACLU office. If your state has enacted any law that supports the views and wishes of any religious group, that is a constitutional violation of the required separation of church and state.

The prohibition is commonly referred to as the "Sunday Law." Many governmental bodies e.g., state county, city, etc, have had their butts kicked royally for legislating and enforcing a Sunday law.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe there are still 4 states that totally prohibit sunday hunting. I think Ohio now has a modified law where sunday hunting is done on public ground.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 09-14-2002, 12:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-14-2002, 05:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also live in Va and grew up with no sunday hunting where I hunt (in VA or WV). It really makes no difference to me. I ususally spend Sundays with my family and in church, so I probably wouldn't go anyhow.
Last year they did allow Sunday hunting in WV in the county I hunt, and I didn't go once. I guess it would be nice to have the option, but on the other hand, in some of the areas I've hunted, it's kind of nice that the deer get a break...alot of pressure the rest of the week.
By the way, this issue has been debated for years, and people have pushed and pushed for years, and it still hasn't changed.
Personally I don't see it changing any time soon, but who knows. Either way...doesn't really matter to me.

Old 09-14-2002, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told by a game warden in PA that the reason why there is no hunting on Sundays is to keep land owners happy. He said that the land owners want a day off from hunters on their property. If they changed the rules, they fear that many land owners would post their land and cut out a lot of hunting oppurtunities. We can, however, hunt crows and coyotes on Sundays. Maybe they should modify the law to allow land owners to hunt on their own property on Sundays. I have to work during the week and it would sure give me more time in the field. It is nice to have a day at camp where I can sleep in and not feal guilty about being a non-dedicated hunter. We also need a day to chop and stack wood or visit other hunting camps here and there. I guess I'm used to the law.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge