Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target panic

Old 03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: target panic

Some very good suggestions there. I think that if you ask, every serious bow shooter, at one time or another, has suffered from some level of TP in their shooting career. From mild to severe, TP is a real menace. It can however be overcome.

Just so I don't end up repeating whats been typed, do an online search for Blind Bale shooting. Searching for Target Panic will likely hit on an article that includes Blind Bale.

What you need to achieve is the surprise shot. Target Panic defined is simply the fear of missing. Your brain takes over and you command the shot to go. Working on the blind bale will teach you how to experience the proper shot, which is one of surprise. Pulling through the shot will come along for the ride and you'll be back in the 10 ring in short order.

Drop me a line if you can't find an article on Blind Bale and I'll do what I can to find one for you. Don't give up, you'll be fine.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

One remedy. Hold on the target and don't release until you are set. Different releases, coming down or up on the target are not a fix for the problem. Disipline is the ONLY way to correct target panic. Start with holding on the target without releasing. Hold until you can't hold any longer. Do it over and over until you are on the spot and steady than start releasing. Repetition and mental desipline is the only fix. Period!!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Disipline is the ONLY way to correct target panic.
Proper technique coupled with concentration / discipline would be the answer.

Hold until you can't hold any longer.
Not a good idea. Hold a nominal amount of time, all while knowing that you are not going to release. Let down way before fatigue sets in.

Repetition and mental desipline is the only fix. Period!!
Repetition alone without first knowing the proper method to execute the shot will do little more than reinforce bad habits. Learn what a perfect shot feels like before you do any of the above. Period.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:11 AM

Every one has to do what is right for them as it relates to conquering challenges.For me target panic is a mental condition not a physical one.I needed not to try so hard,not to have it matter so much if I shot perfectly.Through that type of detachment and a complete focus on form I was able to come to a level of enjoyment and proficiency that I don't believe I would have achieved any other way.
I strongly encourage you to read everything you can get your hands on about target panic,see what the professionals say.If you read enough you will see a pattern,the same things being mentioned over and over again.Relax,have fun,have a shot sequence,challenge yourself to let down on a shot even when everything feels right,just to show yourself you are in control.If anything breaks down in your shot sequence let down.
I don't know how helpful this is but there are a lot of very good archers who have battled this,a lot of archers who have realized the importance of back tension,shooting back tension releases all year long and switching to index finger fired releases prior to hunting seasons,and even then using their index finger as a hook that doesnt move,executing the shot with back tension to get that surprise release that you want.
Good Luck!