" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

Old 03-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

I would like to know if you took the biggest buck you ever had in bow range?

Explain what happened.... Clean kill, complete miss or a wounded animal.

Post a pic of it if it was a successful harvest
Old 03-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Default RE: Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

Well I ddont know if it counts, but the largest buck that Ive had in bow range was at a full run, as a matter of fact, ha ran by me four times that morning, chasing a hot doe, and never stopped one time within range. One time he stopped for a couple seconds at about 50 yards, other than that he was always running hard. he was the biggest buck Ive ever seen in the wild anywhere in my life, and I have his sheds, but never saw him again. I guess the second biggest I had in range was a 140 class this past season, that came into a pond on Oct 1st, and I blew the opportunity, I was offered a shot for a while out about my max range, but thought he was coming closer, so I held off, by the time I decided to go ahead and take the shot, he got nervous and went back the wasy he came from.[:@]
Old 03-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years back I had a run in with a BEAUTY of a southwest Texas 10 point at 26 yards. While trying to draw my Reflex extreme made the awful creaking noise. I would get half drawn and he would turn and look my way. The slower I tried to draw the louder it became. In hindsight I should have tried to YANK it back quickly after the first two failed attempts. But alas, I did not try. A pros hop diagnosed my problem as axles in need of lube. One lube job later, noise disappeared.

The other was last season, another sweet South Texas 10 point at 23 yards. I could see him plain as day through my Leopold binocs, but when I went to see him through my peep it was too fuzzy (not enough light yet). I waited another 5 minutes and still nothing through the peep but a blur. During this try he heard my "deep breathing" and eased out of the area. I now realize my peep is smaller than I had on my last rig. It's a tru peep hunter, and I'm used to the 3/6" (super hunter?). I will either be sporting a 3/16 by next season, or no peep at all. I think the low light of the interior of the ground blind also hurt me on this one.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure if it's the biggest for sure,but he is close. I shot him in 2002 after I watched him breed a doe. When he got off her she trotted ahead off to the side in the brush.As he approached her I decided to shoot him as he walked. The result was a clean miss,but he only stopped to sniff at the fast moving fly. As I fished another arrow out he walked up behind her again but this time he was standing. As he ran off I watched my arrow fall out and new he was done.In the pic you can see where the arrow hit by the tuffed hair on the shoulder. The muzzy did the job,but left it's signature.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

nope on both whitetails and muleys...
i spot and stalk. i watched a 7 by 7 whitetail that i guessed at 150 moving down a trail, got close, ranged where he was coming through, but he got off the trail right there, and i snap guessed he was 10 yards farther than the trail when he came through the good shooting lane. i was wrong, only 5 yards farther, went right over his back.

muleys, blew the stalk. he would have scored in the 180s im sure. anyway, watched him bed, made my sneak, got within 15 yards, but he wasnt exactly where i thought..... i snuck up on the wrong bed, he bolted from about 90 degrees on my right...

have got some nice ones, but the biggest always seem to get away
brad
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

Body-wise it was the largest (and first) buck that I've shot with a bow. I've seen bigger racked deer just not in range. Yes it was a clean kill but at first I thought I botched it. There was no exit wound and no blood trail......got lucky and found 1 speck of blood where he ran over the hill top. Went out in the dark with my uncle about 1 hour later and walked around in the bottoms in the direction he headed. About 30 minutes later my uncle found him only about 100 yards from my stand (I had walked the first 50 yards to the hill top but backed off to be on the safe side when I only found the tiny speck of blood).

I went back the next day to find my arrow and see exactly where he ran. Absolutely no blood but could follow his tracks easily, except a few times when he went through some water but picked them up on the other side.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM

no, but he's got a limp now.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:23 PM

No. I had a gorgeous 150" 10 pointer quartering to me at about 18-20 steps and I didn't take the shot waiting for a better one. In retrospect I should have drilled that buck.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

datamax, I went on a hunt this year with a bow hunting newbie that took a shot 90% of today’s archers wouldn't. He grunted a rut happy running buck to a stop some 10 yards in front of him, quartering towards (ground blind shot). While we would have waited and probably not been given a "good shot" he went home with a 154" buck. Drilled it between the chest and shoulder- graveyard dead.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 AM

DaveC - My buddy, a seasoned bowhunter, shot a buck right below the throat patch this year - quickest kill he's ever made and a 150" ish buck at that !

There's a fine line in waiting for a better shot and passing up a good shot, you know ?

Quick Reply: Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.